how to say these:

Please help:
    1.A guy saw me eating two hot dogs in the morning. He said:"Aren't they greasy?". I replied:"But you guys eat bacons ,sausages,and eggs for the breakfast.Aren't they as greasy as hot dogs?Please correct the English error I used in above sentences, or better ways to say that.

2. In library:
    How to say if I want to reserve a book and check if other books I place on hold have come in?

3.Assemble desk:
    How to say a screw is not right at first place from a manufacture?
    They didn't get it right?

How to say if I think a mistake from one screw won't cause a big difference?
    It won't get too far off?
    Last edited by eelt; 20-Nov-2008 at 05:03.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: how to say these:

1.I replied, "But you guys eat bacon, sausages, and eggs for breakfast. Aren't they as greasy as hot dogs?" (Bacon is a non-countable noun and is always singular. Also, people say for breakfast, not for the breakfast.

2. In library:
    How to say if I want to reserve a book and check if other books I put on hold have come in? "I would like to reserve a book and check if the other books I put on hold have come in." In other words, your way of phrasing this is basically just fine

3.Assemble desk:
    How to say a screw is not right first place from a manufacture?
    They didn't get it right? The screw that came in the package is not the screw that is called for in the directions for assembly. You could add something like: ['Please send me the correct screw', and then provide the part number, size or other specific description of the screw you need).]

How to say if I think one screw won't cause a big difference?
    It won't get too far off? I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you want to say, but possibly something like: I think I can successfully assemble the desk with the screws provided.

I hope this is helpful,

Petra

Thanks Pyoung:

1.Can I say " Can I place a book on hold for me?"
    3. I was trying to say "a mistake from a screw won't cause a big problem"
    So, even with one screw wrong, the result won't go too far off?
    4. How to ask a librarian to see if anyone has pick up my lost flash-disk?
    Can you tell me if anyone has picked up a lost flash-disk?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by eelt View Post
    Thanks Pyoung:

1.Can I say " Can I place a book on hold for me?" You can say, "May I place a book on hold?" or "Could you please place a book on hold for me?"

3. I was trying to say "a mistake from a screw won't cause a big problem"
    So, even with one screw wrong, the result won't go too far off?
    I'm still mixed up about this one. Are you trying to say, 1) the wrong size screw has been used, but it probably won't make any difference," or 2) the screw has been put in the wrong place (or put in crookedly), but it won't make any difference, or 3) the desk has been assembled without one of the screws, but it probably won't make any difference, or 4) something else that I'm not understanding?

4. How to ask a librarian to see if anyone has pick up my lost flash-disk?
    Can you tell me if anyone has picked up a lost flash-disk?
    Yes, #4 is fine. Or you could ask, "Has anyone turned in a lost flash disk?"

I hope this helps,
    P.