1. Tyrone Slothrop

Prepositional Phrases as Interrupters!

There are two, specific sentences below, for which I'm unsure of the correctness:

(Note: What precicely I'm unsure of is below each in quotations.)

He didn’t, for the cases, care much anyways.

"for the cases"--this disrupts the natural flow of the sentence, but does it require commas?

On occasion, he had taken interest with how any particular case transpired, but stopped providing her, as of late, the constant queries, for he found them to be growing redundant after the infinite “Good” never to be impeded by the light dashes of “Heh.”

"as of late"--does this even disrupt the flow?... a simpler version could be read as: "He stopped providing her as of late the constant queries."

Or perhaps a better question is: When exactly--I really mean exactly--are prepositions interrupting and require separation by comma?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Prepositional Phrases as Interrupters!

Your sample sentence is akward for what you are trying to express. How about:

He didn’t, in case you wondered, care much about the case anyways.

I appreciate your input, I really do. In fact, you made aware to me an inconsistency in my syntax; the proceeding sentence of the passage reads as follows:

"But, for her, he did."

So I'm rewording the originally-posted sentence to the same syntax used above (minus the "But"):

Now it will collectively read as: "For the cases, he didn’t care much anyways. But, for her, he did."

So thank you.

But imagine I didn't want to change the sentence structure for stylistic reasons. Did I punctuate correctly?

Also, though, after a couple hours of having posted this thread, I think I may have figured out the "rule" for prepositional phrases; the prepositional phrase (if it is part of the main clause, and the intention is to not use interrupting commas) proceeds the noun or either the verb, adjective, or adverb it modifies. Thus:

• I gave to him a gift. ("to him" modifying "gave")
    • There was my friend in a pile of leaves. ("in a pile of leaves" modifying "friend")
    • Plump Mulligan in the wake of Tyrone's funeral said to me, "Kinch!" ("in the wake of Tyrone's funeral" modifying "Plump Mulligan"; "to me" modifying "said").......an awkward sentence this is perhaps, but it is as far as I know a correct one.
    So may I get an approval or dis- of my current prepositional process, hey?
    Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 21-Nov-2008 at 06:17.

A-a-anyone?