• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

"I did it" and "I make it" (2)

Hi,

I am trying to learn how to say "I was successful" in a casual way. I wonder if "I did it" and "I make it" goes well with the following situations, please:

The test wasn't that hard! I thought I was going to fail! But I think I did it (I passed the exam)!

I didn't think I would fix all that problems! But I did it (I fixed all the problems)!

I don't think I'll have enough time to fix all that problems. I hope I'll do it!

The traffic was so jammed! I thought I wouldn't make it (manage to arrive)!

It took me a while to get that promotion but I finally did it (I got the promotion)!

Thanks!
    Last edited by jctgf; 21-Nov-2008 at 22:27.

Re: "I did it" and "I make it" (2)

(Not a teacher)

Here are some ways to state these (there are of course other ways). Sometimes the negative works better:

1. The test wasn't that hard; At first I thought I was going to fail but now I don't think I did. (if you say "I think I did it," it possibly suggests that you did fail. Later you can say, "I did it! I passed the test").

2. I couldn't imagine I would be able to fix all those [or, all the] problems, but I did [fix them; manage to fix them; succeed]. If you just say "I did" or "I did it," the "did" can refer to "imagine" as well as "fix."

3. I don't think I'll have enough time to fix all those [or, all the] problems. I hope I'll be able to do it. Or, I hope I will have time.

4. Good

5. It took me a while to get that promotion but I finally did! Or, ...I finally got it ( you can replace "get" with "receive" here so you don't use the verb "get" twice).
    Last edited by Greg Forbes; 21-Nov-2008 at 23:09. Reason: change wording

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Re: "I did it" and "I make it" (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Forbes View Post

2. I couldn't imagine I would be able to fix all those [or, all the] problems, but I did [fix them; manage to fix them; succeed]. If you just say "I did" or "I did it," the "did" can refer to "imagine" as well as "fix."

Thanks!

I am a little confused with this one. I wonder how I should say it. Should I end the phrase with "but I did+verb" so there'd be no doubt about what I was able to accomplish, please?

Thanks again!