• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

present continuous

Hey, babe.You are staying here. I'm back soon.
    The above is correct, isn't it?
    And "You are staying here"means "You must stay here", but is more polite.
    Am I right?
    Please explain.
    Thank you in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: present continuous

Quote Originally Posted by norwolf View Post

Hey, babe. You are staying here. [I'm back soon.] I'll be back soon.
    The above is correct, isn't it?
    And "You are staying here"means "You must stay here", but is more polite.
    Am I right?
    The only situation I can think of in which being told, "You are staying here," would be polite is if 'staying here' was a great privilege or entailed a sacrifice on the part of the person making the statement:
    "Even though the emperor has threatened to execute me if I allow you to remain, you are staying here, because this castle is your birthright and I will defend it to the death."
    Otherwise, being ordered to stay anywhere does not sound polite to me, but perhaps I am not understanding the context.

Please explain.
    Thank you in advance.
    Does this help?
    Last edited by pyoung; 22-Nov-2008 at 06:24. Reason: error in composition

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by pyoung View Post
    Does this help?
    Hi, pyoung. Thank you so much.
    But I am so sorry, because something below, which is quoted from corpus, still makes me confused:
    I want you to go see a doctor. He thinks for a while and then turns to meet her gaze. They look right into each other's eyes. # BEN # Sera... I'm not going to see a doctor. Sera continues to look at him almost defiantly. # BEN # Maybe it's time I moved to a hotel. # SERA # And do what... rot away in a room? (becoming angry) We're not going to talk about that. Fuck you! I will not talk about that. You 're staying here. You are not moving to a hotel. # BEN # Will you lighten up, please? # SERA # (close to tears) One thing... one thing... this is one thing you can do for me. I've given you gallons of free will here! You can do this for me. She leans right forward. # SERA # Let's face it. Sick as you are, I'm probably the only thing that's keeping you alive. She stands up #
    my parents said the same thing. But here goes. As long as you live under my roof, you follow my rules. " Ryan's face was red, and it appeared he might bolt out of there like he often did when he heard something he didn't like. " I'm not going to force you to become a Christian, " Judd said. " Nobody can do that. Even Vicki and I needed to decide that in our own time on our own terms. But I'm taking you in, man. You 're staying here because I asked you to. The least you can do is to join in with what the rest of us are doing. It's all for one and one for all. We're going to look out for you and protect you and take care of you, even if you don't believe like we do, and we're going to expect you to do the same for us. I can't even make you read the Bible, but we're going to go to church and

Did I make mistakes in learning them?
    Could you please help me out?
    Last edited by norwolf; 22-Nov-2008 at 20:59.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by norwolf View Post
    Hi, pyoung. Thank you so much.
    But I am so sorry, because something below, which is quoted from corpus, still makes me confused:
    I want you to go see a doctor. He thinks for a while and then turns to meet her gaze. They look right into each other's eyes. # BEN # Sera... I'm not going to see a doctor. Sera continues to look at him almost defiantly. # BEN # Maybe it's time I moved to a hotel. # SERA # And do what... rot away in a room? (becoming angry) We're not going to talk about that. Fuck you! I will not talk about that. You 're staying here. You are not moving to a hotel. # BEN # Will you lighten up, please? # SERA # (close to tears) One thing... one thing... this is one thing you can do for me. I've given you gallons of free will here! You can do this for me. She leans right forward. # SERA # Let's face it. Sick as you are, I'm probably the only thing that's keeping you alive. She stands up #
    my parents said the same thing. But here goes. As long as you live under my roof, you follow my rules. " Ryan's face was red, and it appeared he might bolt out of there like he often did when he heard something he didn't like. " I'm not going to force you to become a Christian, " Judd said. " Nobody can do that. Even Vicki and I needed to decide that in our own time on our own terms. But I'm taking you in, man. You 're staying here because I asked you to. The least you can do is to join in with what the rest of us are doing. It's all for one and one for all. We're going to look out for you and protect you and take care of you, even if you don't believe like we do, and we're going to expect you to do the same for us. I can't even make you read the Bible, but we're going to go to church and

Did I make mistakes in learning them?
    Could you please help me out?
    In both cases there is an implied threat. You can't say "You're staying here" unless you think you have some means of enforcing it.
    However:
    If a friend arrived from the country and knocked on your door, you might invite him to stay with you for a few days.
    Friend: Well, I planned to stay at the Crown Hotel ...
    You: No, you're welcome to stay here.
    Friend: Well, that's good of you. But I don't want to put you out.
    You: Not at all. You're staying here.

This is not a threat, but neither does it mean "You must stay here". It's a polite way of putting an end to the doubts of you visitor.