• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Question What is the meaning of "on tilt"?

I came across the following lines in a forum and are a part of a discussion on whether President-elect Obama would send his kids to public schools in Washington DC.
    no, you dont get it, supporting public schools doesnt mean going to them. that is as stupid as saying that he is in support of a welfare program, so now he must go on welfare. Don't know if you cons are on tilt, or just shat out your brains a few days ago

I understand that "cons" means "conservatives" here, but I don't know the meaning of "on tilt"?

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the meaning of "on tilt"?

Don't know if you cons are on tilt, or just shat out your brains a few days ago

could mean:
    off topic
    not thinking clearly
    off the mark
    slanted to one side (conservative)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the meaning of "on tilt"?

I'm not a teacher.

Hi Olympian,

There are a few interpretations of the idioms in question which I have found in the and Urban Dictionary:

pros and cons = arguments or considerations for and against something, as in
    “We'd best weigh all the pros and cons before we decide to add a new wing to the library. “
    This idiom is taken from the Latin pro for "for" and con for "against."

pros and cons = proficiency and conduct marks given to Marines to the rank of sergeant by their supervisors. They are part of the formula used for promotion. Each is between 0 (totally unsat, probably not breathing) and 4 (God, on a good day).

on tilt = to gamble recklessly and aggressively after a bad or improbable beat or series of bad or improbable beats. Usually results in losing all of your money and then some. Good gamblers avoid this at all costs, even if it means going home earlier than expected.
    “After he got beat three straight times, Mike went on tilt and got his whole bankroll taken. “

on tilt = most commonly heard during a game of poker, this is when a player gets angry and it affects his play in a negative way.
    “Andy Sapiro went slow-rolled Josh Pollitz with pocket aces and was outdrawn on the river, causing him to go on tilt.”

On tilt" is a poker term used to describe someone who is letting their luck affect the way they play. For example, if someone has lost a bunch of hands in a row he or she might start playing recklessly to try to make up for it. Also, if a player has won many hands in a row, they might start to play differently as well. This playing out-of-line so to speak is called playing "on tilt."
    “Player: I doubt he has a great hand. He's probably only betting a lot because he's playing on tilt. “