• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

looking for a word, Please help!

Hello teachers, I am looking for a word. It is related to or close to provocation. I hope the context I am mentioning below will help you in finding out the word I am looking for.

It is like, you are sitting with lots of people. You are quite. The people are discussing something that interests you. You don't want to speak with them but due to the interesting discussion on some interesting topic you are unable to stop yourself from speaking. So, what would you say? I can't resist myself . Why do they provoke me? I don't want the word provocation. It is something or an act of somone that makes you to do something or , force you to do something.

One more example! You ( who knows french also and love to speak too)are with your friends who speak english as well as french. The conversation is going on in English and suddenly one starts speaking in French. You are glued with your English. But finally you give up and start speaking in French. So, your friend ( who was speaking in french) has done what to make you also speak in french?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: looking for a word, Please help!

Hi, Roselin!

Try the following link for possible synonyms for 'provoke'.

provoke synonym | Thesaurus.com

Cheers,
    Amigo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thanks amigos... incite can be that word but incite and provocation will make you always do something unplesant. Is it right ? Can't we incite someone to do something good, funny , interesting. I mean anything but in the positive sense.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

prompt, induce, spur, stimulate, impel, motivate

not a teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Roselin View Post
    Thanks amigos... incite can be that word but incite and provocation will make you always do something unplesant. Is it right ? Can't we incite someone to do something good, funny , interesting. I mean anything but in the positive sense.
    Roselin, take a look at these synonyms: http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/encourage

Cheers,
    Amigo

The people are discussing something that interests you. You don't want to speak with them but due to the interesting discussion on some interesting topic you are unable to stop yourself from speaking.

You were 'induced to speak' (even though you "don't want to speak") by how interesting the topic was, and couldn't resist joining in/adding your penny's worth. It is appropriate because you didn't want to speak. You couldn't 'resist', 'couldn't stop myself'.
    Last edited by David L.; 23-Nov-2008 at 11:31.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    The people are discussing something that interests you. You don't want to speak with them but due to the interesting discussion on some interesting topic you are unable to stop yourself from speaking.

You were 'induced to speak' (even though you "don't want to speak") by how interesting the topic was, and couldn't resist joining in/adding your penny's worth. It is appropriate because you didn't want to speak. You couldn't 'resist', 'couldn't stop myself'.
    Yeah, you are right , David! So, can I use the same word for another example that I have given. I was induced by my friend to start speaking in french.

One more question, please! Is this correctto say ' How long the test ( exam) will continue/last/.go on? Which verb should I use here? What are the other ways of asking the same question?

If you are going to take the exam, and are wondering whether it's a two hour or three hour paper, you would ask:
    "How long is the exam?"
    If a friend is taking an exam, and you are wondering when they will be out, you might ask someone:
    "What time does the exam finish?"
    "How much longer will the exam last?"

If you were at a Wagnerian opera, soon after curtain up, you would be forgiven for turning to your companion and asking, "How long does this go on for?"

Some way into the opera:
    "How much longer does this go on for?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    If you are going to take the exam, and are wondering whether it's a two hour or three hour paper, you would ask:
    "How long is the exam?"
    If a friend is taking an exam, and you are wondering when they will be out, you might ask someone:
    "What time does the exam finish?"
    "How much longer will the exam last?"

If you were at a Wagnerian opera, soon after curtain up, you would be forgiven for turning to your companion and asking, "How long does this go on for?"

Some way into the opera:
    "How much longer does this go on for?"
    thanks for suggesting the correct ways but you ignored the first two sentences about the word inducing

You are not clear in describing why you speak in French or not. You say 'you love speaking French'; but that you are 'glued' to speaking English. 'glued', as in 'glued to the TV' because of interest in a program, I can understand. But whether your friend did something to jolt you into awareness that she was speaking French or English....the situation isn't clear as to why you didn't recognize she was speaking French and automatically switch.

(Check on the meaning of the word, 'ignore')