• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Why you all up in my grill?

Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether there is a synonymity by the following two sentences?

1. Why you all up in my grill?

2. Why you all meddle in my affairs?

What is your opinion concerning the following expression?

Why are you completely in my face?

Why are you up close and personal in my face?

Why you all up in my grill when you haven’t been invited to the barbeque?

I know that “to grill” = “to look at someone in a mean and intimidating way” as in “Many times, girls will grill a guy if he tries to spit game and they aren’t interested or think he is wack.

Would you be so kind to explain to me the meaning of the expression “spit game” in the present case?

For example “How to spit game to a girl?”

or “approaching females can be a nerve racking task, especially when insecurity began to kick in.”

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: Why you all up in my grill?

My guess is that you like hip hop? Here's my best at it.

The phrases are synonymous. But remember a "grill" is what you barbecue food on. So saying, "Why you all up in my grill," may literally mean, "Why are you all over my food that I am grilling," or like you said, "Why are you meddling in my affairs."

Regarding being in someone's face, it means confrontation. When people fight, they usually face off. Part of the body language people use to show they want to fight is to put their face right in front of the other person's face.

With the above said, you might already know the answer to your other question about "Why you all up in my grill when you haven’t been invited to the barbeque?" This might be taken literally as, "Why are you tying to eat my food, when I didn't invite you to the barbecue," or "Why you messing in my personal affairs when you were not invited to my party?"

And about "Spit game..." I think "spit" means to "talk," and "game" is the ability to woo (or win) girls. Therefore, to "Spit game" means to flirt with a girl or try to win her affection--but by saying how much you are the man.

Finally, "Nerve racking" is actually, "Nerve-wrecking" and is anything that makes you nervous. To "kick in" means "to begin to have an effect." So, “Approaching females can be a nerve racking task, especially when insecurity began to kick in," means "Approaching girls can make a guy very nervous, especially when the guy begins to feel insecure."
    Last edited by calinative; 30-Nov-2008 at 02:55.

Spit game >> Urban Dictionary: spit game

"Nerve-wracking" is an alternative spelling of "nerve-racking", and it is generally taken to mean something is intensely distressing or irritating or trying to the nerves.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by calinative View Post
    My guess is that you like hip hop? Here's my best at it.

The phrases are synonymous. But remember a "grill" is what you barbecue food on. So saying, "why you all up in my grill," means literally, "why are you all over my food that I am grilling," or like you said, "why are you meddling in my affairs."

Actually, in this case the "grill" being referred to isn't the type you barbecue on, but rather the decorative type that some folks wear on their teeth.

Examples here and here.

So "why you in my grill?" is the same as asking "why are you in my face?"