1. Unregistered

Is this correct to say?

I am a teacher from Greece and I want to hand out this extract to my students. I don't know if we must use "the" in front of the word broccoli. Thanks in advance for your time and please if you think that sth else is wrong with this text let me know.

"Biological Background: (the)Broccoli is one of the most popular vegetables and was originated in Italy.
    Pharmacological Information: Broccoli is a spectacular and unique package of disease fighters. It is extremely strong in anticancer activity. It is rich in cholesterol-reducing fiber and has antiviral activity. Broccoli is also a good source of calcium, thus it helps fight osteoporosis. "

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: Is this correct to say?

1. 'Originate' means 'come from'. The vegetable orginated in Italy, not 'was originated'.

2. I don't think the description 'package of disease fighters' is appropriate. The vegetable contain certain substances/nutrients which can fight diseases but that is only one aspect of and not everything there is about the vegetable. You can say 'it is packed with/rich in 'disease fighters' '.

3 & 4. Just as you have used 'cholesterol-reducing' as a hypenated word, anti-viral & anti-cancer are also hyphenated words.

'Anti-viral activity' could be replaced with 'anti-viral properties'.

not a teacher
    Last edited by tedtmc; 24-Nov-2008 at 05:28.

for your time and please, if you think that sth else is wrong with this text, let me know.

"Biological Background: Broccoli is one of the most popular vegetables and originated in Italy.

Pharmacological Information: Broccoli is a remarkable/impressive/extraordinary and unique package of disease fighters. It is extremely strong in its anti-cancer activity. It is rich in cholesterol-reducing fibre* and has antiviral activity. Broccoli is also a good source of calcium, thus it helps fight osteoporosis. "

re- construct this passage:So -
    Pharmacological Information: Broccoli is a remarkable/impressive/extraordinary and unique package of disease fighters. It is extremely strong in its anti-cancer activity, with some antiviral activity. It is rich in cholesterol-reducing fibre.* Broccoli is also a good source of calcium, so helping prevent osteoporosis.**

* fiber if Amer. Eng.; and omit 'activity'

*** Calcium supplements, even as broccoli, no longer regarded as efficacious in treatment of osteroporosis. You might likek to make it something like, prevents osteoporosis and with possible effectiveness in treatment, to cover yourself.

Trio of papers cast doubts on osteoporosis treatment

24 January 2008

Conventional wisdom about osteoporosis treatment has been shaken by results from three studies, revealed this month. Calcium isn't as effective or safe as previously thought, and millions of people may be taking unnecessary preventative treatments.

Calcium supplements have long been prescribed to elderly women to prevent bone loss. They are thought to reduce bone 'turnover', where calcium is reabsorbed into the body. But a five year study[1] from the University of Western Australia, led by Richard Prince, has now concluded that while the supplements alone are initially successful, after three to five years the reduction in bone turnover was no better than in placebo trials.
    Last edited by David L.; 24-Nov-2008 at 05:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am a teacher from Greece and I want to hand out this extract to my students. I don't know if we must use "the" in front of the word broccoli. Thanks in advance for your time and please if you think that sth else is wrong with this text let me know.

"Biological Background: (the)Broccoli is one of the most popular vegetables and was originated in Italy.
    Pharmacological Information: Broccoli is a spectacular and unique package of disease fighters. It is extremely strong in anticancer activity. It is rich in cholesterol-reducing fiber and has antiviral activity. Broccoli is also a good source of calcium, thus it helps fight osteoporosis. "

Hi,

It should be without "the" since that is a proper name, in my opinion.

Teacher! Don't beat me or give me a bad grade if I am wrong!