• Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

usage of F**k in American movies

Hi y'all,
    Whenever one sees an American movie one can notice that the word "F**k" is used in a lot of sentences. It seems that without f**k no sentence can be completed The usage of that word making me not able to understand these movies.
    So can someone helps me the usage of the f**k word? how to use it and when I can use it?
    and please explain the meaning of these following sentences or phrases:

"Are you f**king kidding me?"
    "Are you f**king getting married?"
    "a f**king president"

Thanks.

Re: usage of F**k in American movies

It is very intensively discussed in this thread: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/e...important.html

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It is very intensively discussed in this thread: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/e...important.html

I read this thread before posting my question but the answers are still missing.

Can you just explain the meanings of these sentences I asked?
    Thank you so much.

Remove the f**k and the sentences stand clearly. It has no meaning. It is merely a mindless expletive. It could be replaced with almost any other expletive you choose - the sentences will not change meaning.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Smile Re: usage of F**k in American movies

Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    Hi y'all,
    Whenever one sees an American movie one can notice that the word "F**k" is used in a lot of sentences. It seems that without f**k no sentence can be completed The usage of that word making me not able to understand these movies.
    So can someone helps me the usage of the f**k word? how to use it and when I can use it?
    and please explain the meaning of these following sentences or phrases:

"Are you f**king kidding me?"
    "Are you f**king getting married?"
    "a f**king president"

Thanks.
    Hey hanky, how ya doing?
    So, in my opinion, those expressions are f**king natural, Americans say them all the time. I guess it works like an intesifyer:

John is a f**king genius. ---It means he is a remarkable genius.
    Paul is a f**king liar. -------It means he cannot be trusted at all.

I guess you also have heard about the expression "the hell".

What the hell are doing here?
    Who the hell do you think you are?

They are very colloquial and should be used between friends only. Every language has its swearwords, what can we do about it? It sucks but it's f**king natural.

Some people may find them bizzare.

Excuse my bad spelling!

So you want to know how to use the F-word? As little as possible

The word is intended for adults (the films you speak of must be rated R--no kids allowed). So, if you should use the word, be very aware of who is around you (children, strangers, elders, etc.). You can VERY EASILY OFFEND somebody unintentionally.

If you are with your buddies and want to sound "cool," then drop the F-bomb all you want. That´s why most teens start to use "bad" words, to be rebellious and sound "adult." Just be mindful of your surroundings.

And if you want to know what it means in any one of the sentences you heard...no one thinks about the literal meaning unless the word is used to refer to sex itself. It is normally a display of contempt, or as Marcio points out above, an intensifier. And if used in every sentence, the F-word usually loses all meaning and serves merely to set an adult, rebellious, or mischievous tone.

English has one of the biggest vocabularies of all languages (or so I hear). Anyone that relies on the F word in every sentence truly comes accross as simple and unlearned. I would highly suggest you learn more nonoffensive words...there are so many good ones .
    Last edited by calinative; 25-Nov-2008 at 15:01.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by calinative View Post
    Anyone that relies on the F word in every sentence truly comes accross as simple and unlearned.
    When I used to live in Poland, it bothered me so much when hearing a polish equivalent for f... from people. When I came to the UK I didn't have any problems with f... here surprisingly enough... Maybe because my native polish ear is more sensitive in Poland. I started feeling weird and uncomfortable hearing f... here recently especially on the tube when many people are traveling and one of them is using f... while speaking.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    When I used to live in Poland, it bothered me so much when hearing a polish equivalent for f... from people. When I came to the UK I didn't have any problems with f... here surprisingly enough... Maybe because my native polish ear is more sensitive in Poland. I started feeling weird and uncomfortable hearing f... here recently especially on the tube when many people are traveling and one of them is using f... while speaking.
    I personally think it's no big deal. As I said before, every language has its swear-words. And... it's perfectly natural people say it. There's nothing to be ashamed of if you are talking to close friends or some. Of course you don't have to do that, but if you do, they are gonna think your English has improved and doesn't sound like a robot anymore.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    I personally think it's no big deal. As I said before, every language has its swear-words. And... it's perfectly natural people say it. There's nothing to be ashamed of if you are talking to close friends or some. Of course you don't have to do that, but if you do, they are gonna think your English has improved and doesn't sound like a robot anymore.
    Note that for some people it is natural to use such words, for some it is not. I do not think that using these words will make my English sound better or more natural. I agree though that it is ok to use them between friends if you and these friends want to do so. My point is that very often there is no need to use f... because there are so many other non-offensive words, don't you think?
    And you are sooooo wrong thinking that your English improves because of your ability to use swear words.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by calinative View Post
    So you want to know how to use the F-word? As little as possible

The word is intended for adults (the films you speak of must be rated R--no kids allowed). So, if you should use the word, be very aware of who is around you (children, strangers, elders, etc.). You can VERY EASILY OFFEND somebody unintentionally.

If you are with your buddies and want to sound "cool," then drop the F-bomb all you want. That´s why most teens start to use "bad" words, to be rebellious and sound "adult." Just be mindful of your surroundings.

And if you want to know what it means in any one of the sentences you heard...no one thinks about the literal meaning unless the word is used to refer to sex itself. It is normally a display of contempt, or as Marcio points out above, an intensifier. And if used in every sentence, the F-word usually loses all meaning and serves merely to set an adult, rebellious, or mischievous tone.

English has one of the biggest vocabularies of all languages (or so I hear). Anyone that relies on the F word in every sentence truly comes accross as simple and unlearned. I would highly suggest you learn more nonoffensive words...there are so many good ones .
    Thank you very much. I have never used any bad word like F**k, I just came across this words when I saw some American movies like American Pie (18+). It seems that I should see these films for children only. Can any of you suggest some good films for non-native English speakers watch to learn English?

1 - The Terminal, Actors : Tom Hanks and Zeta Jones
    2 - Green Mile, Actors : Tom Hanks
    3 - The Heat, Actors : Robert Dinero and AlPacino
    4 - Moulin Rouge, Actors : Nicole Kidman
    5 - Godfather 1,2 and 3 Actors : Alpacino and Dinero
    6 - Unfaithful, Actors : Richard Gear
    7 - Seven, Actors : Brad Pitt
    8 - Mr and Mrs Smith, Actors ; Angelina Joli and Brad Pitt
    9 - Serendipity
    10 - Ansominia, Actors : Al Pacino
    11 - I Robots, Actors : Will Smith
    12 - Mohamed Ali, actors : Will Smith
    13 - US Marchals, actors : Tom lee Jones and Winstny Snipes
    14 - Message in a bottle
    15 - Bad Boys
    16 - Wanted, actors :Brad Pitt
    17 - Sniper
    18 - The Italian Job
    19 - God Fellas actors : DeNiro
    20 - Thomas Crown Affair
    21 - Batman Begins
    22 - Home Alone 1,2 and 3
    23 - Man in the moon
    24 - Hannibal
    25 - The Castle
    26 - Shakespear in Love
    27 - Bad Boys 2
    28 - Terminator 1,2 and 3
    29 - Spiderman 1 and 2
    30 - The Mask
    31 - Lier Lie

Which one should you recommend to see first?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast