well-used

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could have a look for me at this phrase, "well-used" in this context. I can not find the definition for it in any dictionary. What dose "well-used" mean? Does it just mean "frequently used" as what the professor says later?

Thanks for your help.

... ...
    Student: But isn't it kind of rude to make a lot of noise in the woods? I mean, people go there for peace and quiet.
    Professor: In bear country, noise is good for you. Hiking quietly endangers you, the bear, and other hikers. People sometimes assume they don't have to make noise while hiking on a well-used trail. Some of the most frequently used trails in Glacier Park are surrounded by excellent bear habitat. You can't predict when and where bears might appear along a trail.
    ... ...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Talking Re: well-used

Being from Canada, we use this expression a lot.

Well-used refers to something that has been used frequently and a lot. For example (well-used trails). Imagin a trail that is not well-used. It would be grown over with plants, not very noticeable. But a well-used trail will be clear of plants (only dirt), and very easy to see.

You can use this will lots of things. For example, a well-used book is a bit old, and starting to fall apart. A well-used car is getting older and not as reliable.

Does that help?
    Have a good one!
    Diana Tower
    http://www.helping-you-learn-english.com

Last edited by English-coach; 25-Jan-2009 at 13:18.

Re: well-used

Quote Originally Posted by English-coach View Post
    Being from Canada, we use this expression a lot.

Well-used refers to something that has been used frequently and a lot. For example (well-used trails). Imagin a trail that is not well-used. It would be grown over with plants, not very noticeable. But a well-used trail will be clear of plants (only dirt), and very easy to see.

You can use this will lots of things. For example, a well-used book is a bit old, and starting to fall apart. A well-used car is getting older and not as reliable.

Does that help?
    Have a good one!
    Diana Tower

Thanks, English-coach.

I get it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain