• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

"made-up" and "what's it do?"

Hi everybody,

1. Could anyone comment on the use of "made-up" with the particular meaning of "paved, tarmacked" (e.g. "a made-up road")?

2. Could anyone comment on the use of "what’s it do?"

Thanks.
    Robert

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: "made-up" and "what's it do?"

Hello,

Here are my 2 cents (my explanations).

MADE-UP: When you talk about something being made-up it means to be made new again, rejuvenated, improved or enhanced. So if you are talking about a road that has been made-up...it means that it has been improved from it's once poor state into something better. A more common example of this is when people talk about people being 'made-up". For example, a woman gets "made-up" on her wedding day. It means that she makes herself look wonderful (she gets her hair done and wears something really pretty).

WHAT'S IT DO? This is a question that someone asks when they want to know the purpose of function of something. So if I hold up a black box and I tell you its amazing. You might ask, "What's it do?". Or if I say that I am drinking an amazing new herbal tea that costs $100 a cup, you might ask "what's it do?"

I hope that helps.

All the best,
    Diana Tower
    LEARN ENGLISH BY USING IT: ANSWERS & MOTIVATION FOR ANY ENGLISH LEARNER

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Hello Diana,
    I did understand the meaning of both phrases, but I wanted to know if "made-up road" is something that often occurs in English. Also none of my British English dictionaries give "what’s" as a possible contraction of "what does". It seems that British English looks down on "what’s it do?" as somehow sub-standard. Am I wrong in assuming this?
    Thank you very much for your time.
    Regards,
    Robert

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

'A made up road' is quite common English usage. 'What's it do?' however, isn't, at least not in BrE.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

I think that we are getting into the difference between british and American English. I'm Canadian. And I see no problem saying. What's it do?

Like if someone shows me a machine and I have no I idea what it does. I might ask. What's it do? Now this is very informal. The correct way to say it is "What does it do?" But people (at least some people ) are lazy and say What's it do?

If you want to speak correctly...say it correctly...what does it do? But don't be surprised if you go to Canada or the states and someone asks What's it do?

It may not be "correct" but it is used. :)

PS: In my experience, as a Canadian English Teacher, many British people belive that British English is better than Amerian English. I am not sure why. British English is seens as the Queen's English. I don't really see a difference. It is just how the language has adapted over the years. My mother is British and so I respect the differences between the two forms of English but I don't believe one is better than the other.

Diana
    http://www.helping-you-learn-english.com