• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question Usage of "fit" -good looking

I learned "fit" can refer to a person who is good-looking in informal English. For example, I told Susan that Peter was well fit.

But can I tell a person directly that they are fit? For example, If I were a man, I met Susan on my way home. I said, "Hey, Susan, you are well fit".

Were I being considered sex-harassed if I said so? I ask this question because I learned I cannot address a woman "good-looking", which will be considered being sex-harassed.

Likewise, can I tell a woman that she is beautiful? For example, Hey Susan, you are so beautiful.

Thanks!

Re: Usage of "fit" -good looking

In American English, "Fit" is not used to convey good-looking and especially not to convey beauty. "Fit" refers to being in good physical condition (athletic, strong, and robust). You would not call a girl "fit" because she has beautiful hair and lovely eyes. However, if the girl runs 3 miles a day and has a flat stomach, you can call her "fit" to describe her more-than-healthy condition.

Saying a girl is "beautiful" is a much better compliment. Unattractive people can be very "fit."

Regarding the sexual harassment questions, you need to ask your boss. Some companies are very strict and others are not. But it usually depends on whether you are bothering the girl when you say these things or wasting time flirting when you should be working.

Your boss will know your situation with your coworker and will be able to tell you best how to handle the situation.
    Best advice: Use "beautiful" and tell her outside of work.
    Last edited by calinative; 26-Nov-2008 at 02:37.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Scotland
      • Current Location:
      • Scotland

Smile Re: Usage of "fit" -good looking

But in British English - especially among young people- it is common to use 'fit' to mean very attractive or sexy. It has a similar meaning to 'hot' which is maybe more usual in American English. However, I think it would be less common to say it directly to the person.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by McTeacher View Post
    But in British English - especially among young people- it is common to use 'fit' to mean very attractive or sexy. It has a similar meaning to 'hot' which is maybe more usual in American English. However, I think it would be less common to say it directly to the person.

And not just "sexy"; I've known a youngish person (18/19) saying - of a film trailer - 'This looks fit'.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi all,

Thank you for your help. I learned the word of "fit" which refers to physically attractive from a BBC programme which teaches Chinese English.