• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Some Tests

Hello,

Please, take a look at the following tests, finding the wrong word or phrase.
    Please, explain briefly why those parts are wrong. I’ll send so more in the future.

THANK YOU

1.During the graduation ceremonies, the superintendent of schools told the story of the
    desks and cites their cleaning as evidence of a new spirit or responsibility among students.

2.The twins are fond of peanuts and eating ice cream, but their parents are loath to give the children snacks between meals.

3.The real estate broker promised to notify my parent and I as soon as the house was put up for sale so we could make any necessary repairs to the structure.

5.A close friend of the family, the patient was referred to psychologist with several emotional problems to receive counseling.

6.The Word workshop trains employees about maximizing skills to improve employees’ productivity, the Internet training teaches employees how to use Internet for product searches and e-mail to worldwide subscribes.

Re: Some Tests

Quote Originally Posted by chester_100 View Post
    Hello,

Please, take a look at the following tests, finding the wrong word or phrase.
    Please, explain briefly why those parts are wrong. I’ll send so more in the future.

THANK YOU

1.During the graduation ceremonies, the superintendent of schools told the story of the desks and cites their cleaning as evidence of a new spirit or responsibility among students. How do desks clean?

2.The twins are fond of peanuts and eating ice cream, but their parents are loath to give the children snacks between meals.

3.The real estate broker promised to notify my parent and I as soon as the house was put up for sale so we could make any necessary repairs to the structure."I" = subject; "me" = object

5.A close friend of the family, the patient was referred to psychologist with several emotional problems to receive counseling. Not a good idea to go to a psychologist who has emotional problems.

6. The Word workshop trains employees about maximizing skills to improve employees’ productivity, the Internet training teaches employees how to use the Internet for product searches and e-mail to worldwide subscribes.
    A sentence which makes no sense.

Next time, perhaps you would suggest what you think is wrong about the sentence and we can then agree or disagree.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Thank you very much.
    By the way isn,t there any problem with this sentence:

Isn't better to put them insted of the children. Who are the children?

I thought long about this one. The twins are the children, and I still cannot see anything wrong with the sentence. You could replace "the children" with "them".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by chester_100 View Post
    thank you very much.
    By the way isn,t there any problem with this sentence:

2.the twins are fond of peanuts and eating ice cream, but their parents are loath to give the children snacks between meals.
    yes, i think it's a strange sentence. my main concern is "fond of peanuts and eating ice cream". what do you do with peanuts besides eating them? The most natural way to say it would be, 'the twins are fond of peanuts and ice cream, but...'.
    if the twins are fond of eating peanuts together with ice cream, you could say '...are fond of eating peanuts with ice cream...'.

isn't it better to put them instead of the children. i think so. both are correct but 'them' would certainly be more common than 'the (twins)(children)'.
    native speakers almost always use the shortest correct form, so that is the most natural/authentic english.