"headlight"

Hi,

Does anyone have ideas about the "headlight" of a certain fish. ?
    I googled it, but I still have no idea about this one. What is the "headlight" (of a certain fish)?

Professor: ... ... It shows lots of examples - the many way that cells use energy for metabolism. For example, it shows how bacteria in the "headlight" of a certain fish - how these bacteria take the energy stored in food and convert it into light, in a process called bioluminescence. ... ...

You can see the full context here: Page 632, Exercise 2.4.E(p.256), Questions I through 2. Listen to part of a talk in a science class.
    Delta's key to the next generation ... - Google Book Search

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: "headlight"

I think it refers to the Angler Fish, have a look at it in google.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone have ideas about the "headlight" of a certain fish. ?
    I googled it, but I still have no idea about this one. What is the "headlight" (of a certain fish)?

Professor: ... ... It shows lots of examples - the many way that cells use energy for metabolism. For example, it shows how bacteria in the "headlight" of a certain fish - how these bacteria take the energy stored in food and convert it into light, in a process called bioluminescence. ... ...

You can see the full context here: Page 632, Exercise 2.4.E(p.256), Questions I through 2. Listen to part of a talk in a science class.
    Delta's key to the next generation ... - Google Book Search
    Hi! I am not a teacher.

I think the word of "headlight" is a metaphor which refers to the bacteria of a certain fish which can convert the food into light, probably their heads can light up.

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi! I am not a teacher.

I think the word of "headlight" is a metaphor which refers to the bacteria of a certain fish which can convert the food into light, probably their heads can light up.
    Hi, thedaffodils,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I just thought maybe the "headlight" refers to a certain organ or something on the fish's head. And these bacteria in this organ take the energy stored in food, and then convert it into light, and then this organ will light up.

I am just curious what this organ(headlight) is. But it do seem that, to answer this question, the person must be an expert who works in Fish Bioluminescence field.

I will keep trying to find answer due to the curiosity, if I can find it, I will send you message.

See you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

[I'm not a teacher.]

Hi XINLAI-UE,

You are welcome.

The text just reminds me of the insect -firefly. Its' bottom can light up. I think that can be called "butt-light".

I just found the fish with headlight for you. Here's the URL link, and the text is in Chinese.

?????????????????_?????

If the link doesn't work, please let me know.

Hi! I am not a teacher.

thedaffodils, I find it.

"Bioluminescent symbioses range from facultative associations to highly adapted, apparently obligate ones. The family Anomalopidae (flashlight fishes) encompasses five genera of tropical reef fishes that have large suborbital light organs. The suborder Ceratioidei (deep-sea anglerfishes) contains 11 families. In nine of these, females have a bioluminescent lure that contains bacterial symbionts. In all other fish light-organ symbioses (occurring in 10 families in 5 orders), the symbionts belong to three Photobacterium species ... ....
    Bioluminescent Bacteria and Fish

According to this article, some fish have light organs which contain bioluminescent bacteria. So I think in the context I offered, the "headlight" refers to these "light organs". And then as I said, the bioluminescent bacteria in the organ will take the energy stored in food, and then convert it into light, and then we will see Bioluminescence from these certain fish.

What is your opinion?

Last edited by XINLAI-UE; 27-Nov-2008 at 10:50.

thedaffodils, see this, these fish both have bioluminescent organs.

Bioluminescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find something about a type of fish called Flashlight fish, and the article says like this:

"Flashlight fish are named for their large bioluminescent organs. These are located beneath the eyes and contain luminous red bacteria. Different species have an array of methods for shielding the light to escape from predators. The light is used to attract prey, and for communication."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Good for you,XINLAI-UE!

Wonderful Mother Nature breeds so many interesting kids, huh?

Good for you,XINLAI-UE!

Wonderful Mother Nature breeds so many interesting kids, huh?

And thanks for trying to help me work this question out, thedaffodils.

Have a nice night!