• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question What is "range cooker"?

We're throwing a party to celebrate the completion of our new ?20,000 bespoke wooden kitchen and my father's 90th birthday. As I prepare food for 35 guests on our range cooker and sunshine floods in through the French doors, I can't help feeling proud.
    Source: the Daily Mail

I got a picture of "range cooker" via Google, but I am not completely clear about it. If there's just one burner, is it a range cooker? I assume a range cooker should have at least three burners. Am I right or wrong? Thanks!

Re: What is "range cooker"?

Ranges were developed in the 19th century, combining in one shell an open fire and ovens on each side. They were cased in cast-iron and could be easily installed.

The image you found is of the AGA cooker, which was a development of the range, in that it enclosed the fire, allowing for better control and also a varying range of heats in the four ovens. This being a four-door AGA, the ovens are [left side] top = cool oven; bottom = warm oven and [right side] top = roasting oven (very hot); bottom = simmering oven. The top of the cooker has a cool plate on the left, hot ring in the centre, and simmering ring on the right. There are no burners on an AGA since it ran on solid fuel, though they now run on gas, oil or electricity as well.

There are modern variants of this which are run on gas or electricity, and can have 5 burners on the top as well as 4 ovens. The extract is more likely to be referring to one of these: http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...nge-cooker.jpg

Usually those who cook on an Aga or its rival, Rayburn, will call it by name.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi Anglika,

Thank you very much for your answer. Do most Britons' houses have a range cooker?

I never see any of my friends or colleagues have that in their residences. We urbites use microwave oven and gas burner.
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 26-Nov-2008 at 13:32.

No. Most have gas or electricity powered cookers, as well as microwaves and other small cooking methods.

Generally the range cookers cost about four times as much and need space which is not usually there in modern housing. AGAs and Rayburns will be even more expensive, though they will last for a very long time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Anglika,

Many thanks!

Have a good day there.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    No. Most have gas or electricity powered cookers, as well as microwaves and other small cooking methods.

Generally the range cookers cost about four times as much and need space which is not usually there in modern housing. AGAs and Rayburns will be even more expensive, though they will last for a very long time.
    In case this needs clarifying, the fact that they're expensive mean that they have become status symbols. In fact there was a literary fashion that combined a long-running story, covering several generations, with an extravagant/sexually irresponsible lifestyle, called an 'AGA-saga': Aga saga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    In case this needs clarifying, the fact that they're expensive mean that they have become status symbols. In fact there was a literary fashion that combined a long-running story, covering several generations, with an extravagant/sexually irresponsible lifestyle, called an 'AGA-saga': Aga saga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b
    Hi BobK,

Thannk you for your input.