Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 24
    #1

    Question Would someone help me please!!

    Dear All,
    Currently I'm apllying for a new job (NHS sector) and I need to fill employer's application form in. Among all the requirements for this particular job in Job Describtion there is one that applicator must in rare cases be able to work in highly unpleasant conditions. I think I should mention this but not sure if it is necessary to get involved in the long explanations. Wouldn't it be OK just to say -"I'm emotionally stabile and will scope with such working conditions."?
    I have no idea what to say at all if this sentence means something different or makes no sense.
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in anticipation!!!


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 810
    #2

    Re: Would someone help me please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Darijus View Post
    Dear All,
    Currently I'm apllying for a new job (NHS sector) and I need to fill employer's application form in. Among all the requirements for this particular job in Job Describtion there is one that applicator must in rare cases be able to work in highly unpleasant conditions. I think I should mention this but not sure if it is necessary to get involved in the long explanations. Wouldn't it be OK just to say -"I'm emotionally stabile and will scope with such working conditions."?
    I have no idea what to say at all if this sentence means something different or makes no sense.
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in anticipation!!!
    If you know what to expect (in terms of "working in highly unpleasant conditions"), you are confident that you will be okay and will be able to deal with whatever the job involves then I don't think you need to go into detail.

    The employer probably just wants written confirmation that you are aware of the particularly unpleasant aspects of the job.

    Something along the lines of

    I'm emotionally stable and I feel confident that I can cope with such working conditions.

    should suffice.

    However just make sure that you actually can!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 24
    #3

    Re: Would someone help me please!!

    Thank you, Colloquium!!
    Yes, I know what does "unpleasant conditions" mean in this case. That's why I think it should (even must) be noted in my writing.
    Thank you again and take care!!!


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 810
    #4

    Re: Would someone help me please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Darijus View Post
    Thank you, Colloquium!!
    Yes, I know what does "unpleasant conditions" mean in this case. That's why I think it should (even must) be noted in my writing.
    Thank you again and take care!!!
    Great. Good luck with the job. You're English seems very good, but I'll pick you up on a small mistake you made in your post.

    You do not need the auxilary verb "do" in this sentence:

    Yes, I know what does "unpleasant conditions" mean in this case.


    In very general and by no means absolute terms, we use what+do to form questions, not make affirmitive statements.

    What do you want?

    What does he do at the weekend?

    What did she do that for?

    And I would also argue that "mean" should have the 3rd person S.


    I know what it (the description unpleasant conditions) means.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #5

    Re: Would someone help me please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    Great. Good luck with the job. You're English seems very good, but I'll pick you up on a small mistake you made in your post.

    You're English seems very good => You meant Your English seems very good?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 24
    #6

    Re: Would someone help me please!!

    Thank you for your explanations, albeit I've noticed my mistake just after I've sent the message. (Is "albeit" OK here?).
    I'm still learning English, but I'm affraid if this "still" will last all the rest of my life.
    As one famous person said: "Have no fear of perfection, you will never reach it."


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 810
    #7

    Re: Would someone help me please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    You're English seems very good => You meant Your English seems very good?
    Ha ha. Thanks for pointing that out. Silly mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darijus View Post
    Thank you for your explanations, albeit I've noticed my mistake just after I've sent the message. (Is "albeit" OK here?).
    I think a lot of language learning happens subconsciously. The more time you spend doing it the more you soak in and remember. Most of the time you cannot learn a new piece of language the first time you pay attention to it. You must go through the process of repitition, seeing it in different contexts and being presented in different ways which find their way into your memory (I am evidently not a neurologist!).

    I wouldn't call your example sentence incorrect. I would use "however", but that's just my preferance. We use "albeit" to contrast 2 pieces of information and it means something like: even if, in spite of, dispite this, although, though or even though. It is hard to explain the meaning concisely and out of context.

    He was very drunk, albeit calm and friendly.

    He was very drunk, dispite this he was calm and friendly.



    I want to go to the club, albeit it is very expensive.


    I want to go to the club even though it is very expensive.
    Last edited by colloquium; 27-Nov-2008 at 16:28.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 24
    #8

    Re: Would someone help me please!!

    He was very drunk, dispite this he was calm and friendly.[/COLOR][/B]
    [COLOR=Blue][B]
    Did you mean "despite"

    Thank you for clearing the meaning of "albeit" out.


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 810
    #9

    Re: Would someone help me please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Darijus View Post
    He was very drunk, dispite this he was calm and friendly.[/color][/b]
    [color=Blue][b]
    Did you mean "despite"

    Thank you for clearing the meaning of "albeit" out.
    ARRRGH! I clearly don't understand the difference between "your" and "you're" and now I've lost the ability to spell correctly!!!!!!! It's all gone to pot.

    Yes, I do mean despite. Thank you

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •