• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

a sixth sense

The following sentences are about a women named Crane who has unusual joined sense called synesthesia and some of the parts which I marked red are very confusing to me. I need your help. Thanks!

1. Crane says I remember over years having discrete experiences with people such as asking them,' what colour is your three or five?... I would get a look like, ' are you crazy? ( Does over years means for a long time??)

2. Researcher like Cytowie studying synesthets for the remarkable clues it offer to the mysteries of the human mind.

3. Cytowie says that these people experience the world differently. Their senses are wired together differently. Crane wouldn't have it wired any other way. I think the world would be rather flat.

Re: a sixth sense

1. Crane says I remember over years having discrete experiences with people such as asking them,' what colour is your three or five?... I would get a look like, ' are you crazy? ( Does over years means for a long time??)

Yes, for a prolonged period of time, but I would use over the years.

2. Researcher like Cytowie studying synesthets for the remarkable clues it offer to the mysteries of the human mind.

The remarkable clues are why Cytowie is studying the subject.

3. Cytowie says that these people experience the world differently. Their senses are wired together differently. Crane wouldn't have it wired any other way. I think the world would be rather flat.[/quote]

Well, for instance, take the sense of sight; our eyes are wired to our brain. We have binocular vision and each eye sees a slightly different image, but once the images have been "wired" from our retinas to our brains, they are joined into a coherent whole: one image (an astounding acheivement of evolution). This is a very simple (or, depending on how you look at it, unfathomably complicated) example of how our senses are wired, but it is in priniciple what the sentence refers to. Crane somehow (directly) experiences the world (through the only means a human can directly experience the world: through the senses) in a way different to most people.
    Last edited by colloquium; 28-Nov-2008 at 13:22.