• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

drop in magnitude

The following sentences are about an experiment which tested whether events that have a world wide impact are able t focus people's awareness and whether that conciousness can influence the functioning of machines and I am not sure what 'a drop in magnitude' and thre red parts mean in the following sentence.

Before World Trade Center was attacked, there was a sharp increase in the 37 generators being monitored at that time.In a sense, the generators were extremely noisy. over the course of the rest of the day, the opposite happened. There was a drop in magnitude that was uncharacteristically quiet and unique for that entire year. ... Radian hypothesizes that disaters upset global consciousness , while mass demonstrations and celebrations lead to a coherent mind, which shifts these supposedly random machines toward ' quiet.'

Re: drop in magnitude

To be honest, it is so badly written that it is difficult to make sense of it.

Where were these 37 generators? In the World Trade Center? What is their relevance to what happened? Is the "drop in magnitude" a reduction in noise?

Can you throw any light on this passage?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Is is about a test which was conducted by Radian who tried to test coincidence on a global scale. He was interested in studying whether events that have a worldwide impact are able to focus people's consciousness,so he and other researchers conducted with 75 machines which produce numbers based on electronic noise, such as the static one hears when changing radio station. Did I give you enough context? Then, can you give me the answer to my question?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Interesting hypothesis. And interesting machines that can measure that. I assume the machines were able to sense people changing stations on their radios and televisions?

The magnitude of static is a measure of how much static there is.A drop in magnitude means there is less, the numeric value assigned to measure the static is lower.

" ... while mass demonstrations and celebrations lead to a coherent mind, which shifts these supposedly random machines toward ' quiet.' "
    means that while many millions of people were focused on a single event as it happened (9/11 for example), they were less likely to shift their attention or change channels, as often as before, or with the same apparent random (unplanned, haphazard, unpredictable) manner.