• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

misadventure,accident

Hi teachers:
    I wonder if the word "misadventure" is equivalent of the word" accident".
    I can't distinguish them because they are translated into the same words in my native language .
    Thanks for your clarification.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: misadventure,accident

I don't see or hear "misadventure" very much except in literature. It sounds like a word used in an old-fashioned story.

However, it means the unforuntately or bad things that happen. An accident is unplanned. I can have a misadventure that someone else planned (like being robbed) or simply something I planned but that didn't go as I hoped.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Thanks for Barb_D's clarification.
    I wonder if I can also use the word: accident (unplanned) in the following sentences.

1 The old woman was hit when she was going for a walk on the street.She daren't walk on the street alone since that misadventure./accident(unplanned).
    2 The little boy was drowned to the river.Since that misadventure/ accident (unplanned), his mother forbids the other children to play by the river.
    I don't see or hear "misadventure" very much except in literature. It sounds like a word used in an old-fashioned story.
    So, Could you tell me what term is more common when native speakers want to express:misadventure ( it means the unforuntately or bad things that happen?)
    Thanks a lot!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In the first one, accident certainly applies.

For the death of a child, "misadventure" seems too mild. Since that tragedy,... or Since that tragic event, ...

In other cases, Since that unfortunate event... (There is a series of books about A Series of Unforutnate Events) so that may be why that seems more common to me now.

I can see using "midadvanture" to refer to something like a child who knocks over a display of canned goods at the grocery store. "Since your little misadventure at Acme, I think it would be a good idea for you to sit in the cart while we shop, don't you?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

In the UK, a verdict of 'misadventure' can be given in a coroners court when a death is deemed to have been caused by the person doing something dangerous that they didn't intend to be fatal.