• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Cupboard vs shelf vs case

Hello,

I can read that the word cupboard is a piece of furniture or a small part of a room with a door or doors behind which there is space for storing things.

Im fine with that. However, what do we call the same thing without a door? Does it become a case or a shelf? Can a shelf have a "back wall?" Can we find cupboards mostly in the kitchen or we can also use them for storing clothes in our bedrooms?

Thanks for your answers. I would appreciate a link to a furniture wordbank with pictures, if you know one.

Good day to you all.

Waawe

Re: Cupboard vs shelf vs case

Not a teacher.

Without a door, I would call it a shelf. I might also refer to the entire piece of furniture as "the shelves." A set of shelves that is used primarily for books is a bookshelf or a bookcase, depending on your preference.

I store my clothes in a dresser. My dresser is a combination of a cupboard with shelves and drawers. I also have a closet, which is the area of my room that I use to hang clothes and store things.

As for a furniture word bank with pictures, maybe you can just go to an English furniture store's website. They will have pictures of their products with descriptions that include their functions (dressers, drawers, shelves, cupboards, cabinets, couches, loveseats, armoires, recliners, hutches, etc.).

I don't know how many kinds of furniture names you know, so I put a bunch of stuff just in case. Sometimes, the different types overlap. My picture of a hutch contains drawers and cupboards (or cabinets, depending on what you want to call them. They might be different, but my area uses them pretty much interchangeably) with shelves inside.

I hope I was helpful.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Cupboard vs shelf vs case

Bravo!!!