• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

animal-human hybrid

The following sentences are about genetically engineering human beings and can you please explain the red parts? Thanks a lot!!

1. He put three types of DNA in a test tube and the primitive 'chromosome' self-assembled. It survived in the cells for six months.

2. If preventive treatments such as these are shown to work safely, it is not difficult to envision an array of treatments delivered as a ' gene cassette' on a single Human artificial Chromosomes. ( what is the meaning of deliver here?)

3.The time to examine and discuss the realistic benefits and challenges these new reproductive technologies embody ( can I understand embody as contain?) is now, whie they are still nascent.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: animal-human hybrid

The first one means that the DNA assembled itself into a chromosome. I am not sure about the others. (More context might help.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: animal-human hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    the following sentences are about genetically engineering human beings and can you please explain the red parts? Thanks a lot!!

1. He put three types of dna in a test tube and the primitive 'chromosome' self-assembled. It survived in the cells for six months.

2. If preventive treatments such as these are shown to work safely, it is not difficult to envision an array of treatments delivered as a ' gene cassette' on a single human artificial chromosomes. ( what is the meaning of deliver here?)
    deliver means "administer". How does a doctor deliver a drug to the system? - orally, by intramuscular injection, dermal patch, etc. I don't know how they'd deliver a gene cassette, but i imagine it would be the same way they'd deliver a single gene treatment. The "cassette" would release the appropriate gene when it encountered the appropriate rna protein (or something similar).

3.the time to examine and discuss the realistic benefits and challenges these new reproductive technologies embody ( can i understand embody as contain?) is now, whie they are still nascent.
    yes. I'd say "present". The technologies present benefits and challenges.

or "promise benefits" and "pose challenges".
    r.