Letter closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

monro

Member Type
Other
Dear friends,

I received an e-mail letter by a superior colleague, which was closed with "Always yours" ...and name.
I am not sure, but my understanding is that this ending is not suitable for a letter to a colleague. Or maybe he wants to tell me something by it?

Please, help me understand,

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear friends,

I received an e-mail letter by a superior colleague, which was closed with "Always yours" ...and name.
I am not sure, but my understanding is that this ending is not suitable for a letter to a colleague. Or maybe he wants to tell me something by it?

Always yours = Ever yours or Yours ever = at all time, always - a complimentary close at the end of a letter above the signature.
Still have doubts? Then have a look at here. Don't think twice is all right.
(Not a teacher):)

monro

Member Type
Other
Thank you, Albertino for your answer.
What I really want to know is in what cases would one end his letter with "Always yours".:?:

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thank you, Albertino for your answer.
What I really want to know is in what cases would one end his letter with "Always yours".:?:

Formal
(letters addressed to diplomats and religious personalities)
Respectfully yours/Respectfully.

Semi-formal
(letters addressed to Government organs, companies and schools/colleges)
Very truly yours/Yours truly/Yours very truly;
Very cordially yours/Cordially yours/Yours cordially;
Very sincerely yours/Most sincerely yours/Yours faithfully/Faithfully yours.

Informal
(letters addressed to relatives and friends)
Sincerely, Sincerely yours;(respectable seniors)
Love/All my love/Your loving/Yours ever; (very close relationship)
Best wishes/All the best
Yours affectionately/affectionately(Family members)
Best regards/Best wishes/Kindest regards/Warmest regards(Friends)
(Not a teacher)

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear friends,

Hi, monro! Welcome to the forums! :up:

The fact that you have concerns regarding your colleague's use of 'always yours' indicates to me that you have a hunch that his/her interests may be more than professional. When replying to your colleague's business correspondence I suggest you use the expression 'sincerely' in your complimentary closing. Your colleague will quickly understand that you mean 'business' and not 'personal' in your relationship at work. :)

Cheers,
Amigo

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
I wouldn't read too much into an email ending. They are essentially informal communications and there are no adamantine rules for greetings or endings.

monro

Member Type
Other
I wouldn't read too much into an email ending. They are essentially informal communications and there are no adamantine rules for greetings or endings.

I think you are right for the general e-mail writers. But in my case I have a very precise and even a meticulous type of person on the other side.

monro

Member Type
Other
Hi, monro! Welcome to the forums! :up:

The fact that you have concerns regarding your colleague's use of 'always yours' indicates to me that you have a hunch that his/her interests may be more than professional. When replying to your colleague's business correspondence I suggest you use the expression 'sincerely' in your complimentary closing. Your colleague will quickly understand that you mean 'business' and not 'personal' in your relationship at work. :)

Cheers,
Amigo

So, I am right then that you would not say "Always yours" to a colleague. I was a little confused, becaused this was the first time he ended his letter like this, instead of with "Best regards".

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
So, I am right then that you would not say "Always yours" to a colleague. I was a little confused, becaused this was the first time he ended his letter like this, instead of with "Best regards".
Did you mean it carries a flirting implication by 'Always ever"?:-?

monro

Member Type
Other
Yes, sort of. But I was not sure, that is why I decided to ask these, who may know. I am not that good in English.:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.