• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Question

Dear Sir or Madam,

Yesterday, I was watching "The Apprentice" and the potential employer said a sentence which quite confused me grammatically: "Next time we meet in the boardroom will be when one of you will be fired."

Question: Should he not use the present tense "is fired" because we learned that the will - future is never used in subordinate clauses with time conjunctions, and if it is right, why?
    By the way, I want to thank Richard for answering my last question. Furthermore, I want to apologize to him for using the administrative page accidentally.

Best regards and thank you very much,

Joern

Could you please send me your opinion to my email address:
    joern.matthias912@gmail.com
    Last edited by Joern Matthias; 06-Dec-2008 at 20:17.

Re: Question

I think this poster is confusing this 'rule', which applies in a sentence such as:

I will call you when I will arrive.

"...when one of you will be fired" is expressing an inevitable event, not a 'future' event.

'when' can be depicted as occurring:

<..........when-actual the moment something happens................the moment it will happen.....................>

You can't have a moment at which something happens and at the same time, be saying it will happen in the future!?!?
    Last edited by David L.; 06-Dec-2008 at 20:55.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Question

Quote Originally Posted by Joern Matthias View Post
    Dear Sir or Madam,

Yesterday, I was watching "The Apprentice" and the potential employer said a sentence which quite confused me grammatically: "Next time we meet in the boardroom will be when one of you will be fired."

Question: Should he not use the present tense "is fired" because we learned that the will - future is never used in subordinate clauses with time conjunctions, and if it is right, why?
    It would be more grammatical for him to say: “The next time we meet in the boardroom will be when I fire one of you” or “One of you will be fired when we meet next time in the boardroom”. However “one of you will be fired” is a catch phrase of the series. The “rule” has been bent to allow for the accomodation of this phrase.
    David’s explanation seems to miss the mark on several counts.
    >"...when one of you will be fired" is expressing an inevitable event, not a 'future' event.
    If this were not a clause in the future tense, then he could rest his argument there, since the “rule” would not have been broken. But it is.
    >You can't have a moment at which something happens and at the same time, be saying >it will happen in the future!?!?
    You can have a period of time, A, during which something, B, happens. At the beginning of time A, B has not happened. At the end of time A, B has happened. A is the time during which they will next meet, and B is the time at which the firing will occur.
    With the use of “when”, the employer is conflating these two times. Doing this allows him to include the catch phrase.