Could you help me?

Would you please help me with these questions?
    1. "Older than forty and starting from scratch: I thought I was a unique item, but I found a sea of women in similar positions. The little child in us has grown mature and middle-aged, almost to our surprise. We share a fear..."
    What does "the little child in us has grown mature and middle-aged" mean?
    2. "We didn't have a chance to effect the goals the first time around. This time around we will make a big difference."
    What does"we will make a big difference" probably mean in such context?
    3. "What makes a person happy? This question has been much of speculation."
    What does "This question has been much of speculation" mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Could you help me?

1 Something inside her has changed and she is no longer, and here I'm guessing because there's not enough context, carefree, but worried instead.
    2 Achieve a lot more
    3 A lot of people have tried to answer this question, but the sentence is very weird to me; I'd say 'there has been a lot of speculation on this question. Where did you get it from?

Re: Could you help me?

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    1 Something inside her has changed and she is no longer, and here I'm guessing because there's not enough context, carefree, but worried instead.
    2 Achieve a lot more
    3 A lot of people have tried to answer this question, but the sentence is very weird to me; I'd say 'there has been a lot of speculation on this question. Where did you get it from?
    Thank you!
    1. About the first sentence, "something inside her has changed", do you mean "her inner child has changed"?
    3. I got it from an article called "the roots of happiness:an empirical analysis". Can this sentence mean that this question is subject mostly to speculation, which means no empirical study has been made on it? The usage of "much of" really puzzles me.