• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Corporate social responsibility

The following sentences are discussing the social responsibility of corporations and can you please explain what the red parts mean exactly? Thanks a lot in advance.

1. Because of bad laws, good people in corporatoins make decisions that cause their institutions to engage in antisocial or selfish behaviour. Legislatures pass laws to control that behavior, but they are merely treating the symptoms of a problem while ignoring the underlying cause ( what is the exact meaning of cause here?) itself.( Also, what does itself indicate?)

2.People understand doing well and doing good are mutually exclusive.

3.We cannot afford to wait decades to deal with climate changes and other serious threats while corporations come around voluntarily.

Re: Corporate social responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    The following sentences are discussing the social responsibility of corporations and can you please explain what the red parts mean exactly? Thanks a lot in advance.

1. Because of bad laws, good people in corporatoins make decisions that cause their institutions to engage in antisocial or selfish behaviour. Legislatures pass laws to control that behavior, but they are merely treating the symptoms of a problem while ignoring the underlying cause ( what is the exact meaning of cause here?) itself.( Also, what does itself indicate?)

The identification of the cause isn't specified; however it is suggested that corporate decisions are where the causes originate from. All that is stated is that they are trying to treat the effect (symptom) of the cause, rather than attempting to take preventative measures to avoid the problem (before it has a chance to emerge).

Itself is acting as an emphatic pronoun. We use them to add emphasis to nouns. Like reflexive pronouns ("I have hurt myself") they refer back to, and represent the same entity as the original noun.

".... ignoring the underlying cause itself".

eg,

I myself will write to the manufacturer.

(G.Morley, 2000 , p.46).

2.People understand doing well and doing good are mutually exclusive. #

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mutually+exclusive

3.We cannot afford to wait decades to deal with climate changes and other serious threats while corporations come around voluntarily.

It is suggesting that we must be more forceful in getting corporations to cooperate and pay greater attention to the problem of climate change, rather than waiting for them to "come around volunarily" (in their own time/when they decide to).