1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

• Post Thanks / Like

to choose titles

I find the follow passage hard to understnd.please help me . I choose A.E.F.D.B for 1.2.3.4.5, but I not sure if I'm right. so please help me ,teachers. thank you !

Read the passage and choose the title given below for each paragraph (one of them is otiose)
    A.Technical experts with a wide horizon are expected
    B.Fail to achieve my ideal aim
    C.Broaden my knowledge by communicating with people
    D.The difficulitues I met when studying in a liberal arts university
    E.Put my idea to practice
    F.Plan to become an engineer and humanist

_1._______________
    Engineering students are supposed to be examples of practicality and rationality , but when it comes to my college education I am an idealist and a fool. In high school I wanted to be an electrical engineer and, of course, any sensible student with my aims would have chosen a college with a large engineering department, famous reputation and lots of good labs and research equipment. But that's not what I did.
    __2._______________
    I chose to study engineering at a small liberal-arts university that doesn't even offer a major in electrical engineering. Obviously, this was not a practical choice; I came here for more noble reasons. I wanted a broad education that would provide me with flexibility and a value system to guide me in my career. 1 wanted to open my eyes and expand my vision by interacting with people who weren't studying science or engineering. My parents, teachers and other adults praised me for such a sensible choice. They told me I was wise and mature beyond my 18 years, and I believed them.
    _3.________________
    I headed off to college. Sure I was going to have an advantage over those students who went to big engineering "factories" where they didn't care if you have values or were flexible. I was going to be a complete engineer: technical genius and sensitive humanist all in one.
    _4.________________
    Now I'm not so sure. Somewhere along the way my noble ideals crashed into reality, as all noble ideals eventually do. After three years of struggling to balance math, physics and engineering courses with liberal-arts courses, I have learned there are reasons why few engineering students try to reconcile engineering with liberal-arts courses in college.
    5._________________
    The reality that has blocked my path to become the typical successful student is that engineering and the liberal-arts simply don' t mix as easily as I assumed in high school. Individually they shape a person in very different ways; together they threaten to confuse. The struggle to reconcile the two fields of study is difficult.

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: to choose titles

Is there anyone willing to help?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

The silence so far may be because other readers share the feeling that none of the 'titles' seems appropriate. Who wrote this test? Was it a native speaker? And if so, what sort of English was s/he a native speaker of?

b

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner

• Post Thanks / Like

It's a test in TaiWan. It wants us to choose the title which stands for the main idea of each paragraph. I'm find it confusing. so try to tell me if you have to make a choice,what willbe you amswers?thank you .

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agirl View Post
    I find the follow passage hard to understnd.please help me . I choose A.E.F.D.B for 1.2.3.4.5, but I not sure if I'm right. so please help me ,teachers. thank you !

Read the passage and choose the title given below for each paragraph (one of them is otiose)
    A.Technical experts with a wide horizon are expected
    B.Fail to achieve my ideal aim
    C.Broaden my knowledge by communicating with people
    D.The difficulties I met when studying in a liberal arts university
    E.Put my idea into practice
    F.Plan to become an engineer and humanist

_1.___________A____
    Engineering students are supposed to be examples of practicality and rationality , but when it comes to my college education I am an idealist and a fool. In high school I wanted to be an electrical engineer and, of course, any sensible student with my aims would have chosen a college with a large engineering department, famous reputation and lots of good labs and research equipment. But that's not what I did.
    __2.________C_______
    I chose to study engineering at a small liberal-arts university that doesn't even offer a major in electrical engineering. Obviously, this was not a practical choice; I came here for more noble reasons. I wanted a broad education that would provide me with flexibility and a value system to guide me in my career. 1 wanted to open my eyes and expand my vision by interacting with people who weren't studying science or engineering. My parents, teachers and other adults praised me for such a sensible choice. They told me I was wise and mature beyond my 18 years, and I believed them.
    _3.__________F______
    I headed off to college. Sure I was going to have an advantage over those students who went to big engineering "factories" where they didn't care if you have values or were flexible. I was going to be a complete engineer: technical genius and sensitive humanist all in one.
    _4.________D________
    Now I'm not so sure. Somewhere along the way my noble ideals crashed into reality, as all noble ideals eventually do. After three years of struggling to balance math, physics and engineering courses with liberal-arts courses, I have learned there are reasons why few engineering students try to reconcile engineering with liberal-arts courses in college.
    5._________B________
    The reality that has blocked my path to become the typical successful student is that engineering and the liberal-arts simply don' t mix as easily as I assumed in high school. Individually they shape a person in very different ways; together they threaten to confuse. The struggle to reconcile the two fields of study is difficult.
    My suggestions.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    My suggestions.

thak you very much indeed!