usage difference between 'kindly' and 'please'

Status
Not open for further replies.

evernew

Member Type
Other
What is the difference in usage between 'please' and 'kindly'.

What is the difference between following sentences :

1. Please issue my salary certificate

2. Kindly issue my salary certificate

mkss

Member Type
English Teacher

The first sentence is a 'polite request' and, in the second one, the adverb 'kindly' states how the action has to be performed (that is, you ask somebody to issue your salary certificate kindly)

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

an interesting question

(usually) They are both polite requests. "Kindly" doesn't indicate how the action has to be performed. (although that's what one might think if you were just considering grammar.

Here the use of "Kindly" indicates that the speaker would consider the action to be very considerate and helpful. (a kind action)

mkss

Member Type
English Teacher
an interesting question

(usually) They are both polite requests. "Kindly" doesn't indicate how the action has to be performed. (although that's what one might think if you were just considering grammar.

Here the use of "Kindly" indicates that the speaker would consider the action to be very considerate and helpful. (a kind action)

No, you're wrong because
*considering your response:
-----------you're talking about the action itself, not the 'request'.
-----------'a kind action', as you said, (from the point of view of 'how the speaker would consider it) is an action that 'has been' or 'is potentially going to be performed' kindly

*kindly is an adverb of manner (=describes how an action is performed). No matter what position in a sentence an adverb has, its specific function isn't generally affected by it.

*according to Longman Exams Dictionary:
kindly is a word which means please, but is used by the speaker when he is annoyed (so it is used 'ironically', in a sense)

5l10z4.jpg

Last edited:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
no, you're wrong because
*considering your response:
-----------you're talking about the action itself, not the 'request'.
-----------'a kind action', as you said, (from the point of view of 'how the speaker would consider it) is an action that 'has been' or 'is potentially going to be performed' kindly
no, you don't understand. it means the action would be considered a kind action, not an action performed kindly.

*kindly is an adverb of manner (=describes how an action is performed). No matter what position in a sentence an adverb has, its specific function isn't generally affected by it. yes, in a sentence like 'he tended to her kindly and lovingly.' but not in "kindly issue my salary certificate.'

*according to longman exams dictionary:
Kindly is a word which means please, but is used by the speaker when he is annoyed (so it is used 'ironically', in a sense) only sometimes

5l10z4.jpg

Last edited:

mkss

Member Type
English Teacher

Well if you like it like this...
*Explain the difference between 'a kind action' and 'an action performed kindly'
(because you are just saying what your opinion on my answer is, but you are not justifying anything).

I gotta repeat:
Kindly is not an element indicating politeness.
When you think of an action (an action that has been performed, that is going to be performed, that is being performed, or however you like it) you have to inextricably think of someone's performing it, and if you don't, then you are not thinking of an action (check the meaning of action).

2006 - "no, you don't understand. it means the action would be considered a kind action, not an action performed kindly."

mkss - * This answer doesn't make any difference, because I said ''''potentially''''going to be performed kindly (not what you have written).
* Please (my 'polite request'), if you say 'it means', tell me what has made you 'daredevilly' assert that. Because I don't think you're a dictionary, a grammar book, or a robot. You may tell me 'I mean'...
* And, please (again), gimme explanations (and I will be much obliged to you!)

----

2006 - "yes, in a sentence like 'he tended to her kindly and lovingly.' but not in "kindly issue my salary certificate.'"

mkss - you said "kindly issue my salary certificate.'... and I say "Issue my salary certificate kindly" (which proves that yours is a fronted version of my sentence)

I repeat: "No matter what position in a sentence an adverb has, its specific function isn't generally affected by it."

*you said: "he tended to her kindly and lovingly." and I now say "kindly and lovingly (,) he tended to her (for the sake of emphasis)

and in order not to beat around the bushes:
*Issue my salary certificate kindly.

*Kindly issue my salary certificate.
(Both are possible, the second one is more emphatic)

Look for a grammar book and check out how adverbs are "the most moveable part of a sentence" [Berton-Roberts, N. (1948) Analysing Sentences. An Introduction to English Syntax. Longman]

----

2006 - only sometimes

mkss - Yes but that is not my point. What I have been trying to say is that only the one with "Please" is a polite request

PS: I'm sorry if I've made any grammatical mistake today. (I'm in a rush)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
an interesting question

That's exactly right. Here on the forum when a poster says, "Kindly answer this question for me" the poster is indicating that he/she would consider the responder considerate and helpful for answering the question.

:)

SUDHKAMP

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My suggestion:
'Please' is used when directly speaking to the person(verbally).

'Kindly' is used whilte writing letters etc.

P.S. : I am not a teacher of English, just someone who loves the language.

mkss

Member Type
English Teacher
That's exactly right. Here on the forum when a poster says, "Kindly answer this question for me" the poster is indicating that he/she would consider the responder considerate and helpful for answering the question.

Perhaps you're not as interested as me in this discussion.... but I've been checking some other sources and asking for other teachers' opinions and... going back to the title of this post "usage....", and especially in terms of usage, I agree with 2006's opinion.

But I still think this does not necessarily have to be considered a polite request... but:
*considering intonation: it could be really impolite.
*considering syntax (and especially because in some cases there are some doubts about the possibilities of making a 'risky generalisations' in terms of grammar rules): I believe it can be considered a case of 'fronting', perhaps unusual, as well.

Kindly tell me your opinions on this two points...

PS: I think now I'm clear. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

My opinion is that the "kindness" refers only to the kindness of the hearer in carrying out the request of the speaker, and is not meant as instruction about how the action is to carried out.
Basically it means "Would you be so kind [to me] as to ..."
The action could disadvantage someone else, and not be kind at all.
If a crime boss says to his off-sider, "Would you kindly handle the matter of Smith?", and the off-sider says "Sure, boss", the off-sider is not planning to treat Smith kindly, and nor has he been asked to.
Nor is it an argument to say that this is being sarcastic - that he doesn't mean "kindly" at all. The off-sider is "kindly" carrying out the ends of his boss, but the means are not kind to the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.