Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    It is worth v.ing

    Hi All,

    I really like the structure "It is worth + V.ing". Would you tell me some synonymous phrases of that?

    Thanks in advance,

    Hoc.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #2

    Re: It is worth v.ing

    Quote Originally Posted by LeUyenHoc View Post
    Hi All,

    I really like the structure "It is worth + V.ing". Would you tell me some synonymous phrases of that?

    Thanks in advance,

    Hoc.
    Your question is unclear. Do you mean you want verbs to fit, such as:
    "It is worth learning English", "It is worth saving some money", etc.
    These, of course, aren't synonymous phrases.
    Synonyms would be "It is worthwhile to verb", "It would be to your advantage to verb" etc.

  3. #3

    Re: It is worth v.ing

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Your question is unclear. Do you mean you want verbs to fit, such as:
    "It is worth learning English", "It is worth saving some money", etc.
    These, of course, aren't synonymous phrases.
    Synonyms would be "It is worthwhile to verb", "It would be to your advantage to verb" etc.
    Dear Raymott,

    Thank you very much for your kindness.

    I meant that when we want to emphasize the importance of doing something, we can use "It is worth + v.ing", for example:

    It is worth noting that I have to clarify this problem.

    I want to have more phrases with that meaning since it seems boring to repeat one for many time.


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    #4

    Re: It is worth v.ing

    This film is worth seeing
    You must see this film
    It's a good film to see
    You'll love this film
    I advise you to see this film

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #5

    Re: It is worth v.ing

    One possibility (with the "It is worth + V.ing" form):
    It is worth doing.
    (I don't see how you can change the words and have the sentences mean the same thing.)


  5. #6

    Re: It is worth v.ing

    Dear Clark, RonBee,

    Thank you very much for your comments

  6. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #7

    Re: It is worth v.ing

    It's worth paying that price, it's a rare article.

  7. #8

    Re: It is worth v.ing

    Thank bhaisahab much.

  8. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #9

    Re: It is worth v.ing

    It's worth talking to Joe.
    (NOT Talking to Joe is worth)
    Joe's worth talking to.

    It isn't worth repairing the car.
    (NOT The car isn't worth to be repaired.)
    The car isn't worth reparing.
    (NOT The car isn't worth repairing it)

    Is it worth visiting Leicester?
    Is Leicester worth visiting?
    Leicester's well worth visiting.


  9. #10

    Re: It is worth v.ing

    Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    It's worth talking to Joe.
    (NOT Talking to Joe is worth)
    Joe's worth talking to.

    It isn't worth repairing the car.
    (NOT The car isn't worth to be repaired.)
    The car isn't worth reparing.
    (NOT The car isn't worth repairing it)

    Is it worth visiting Leicester?
    Is Leicester worth visiting?
    Leicester's well worth visiting.

    Thankssssssss

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. It will be worth while to come to the meeting
    By Grablevskij in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2008, 17:13
  2. worth
    By Offroad in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2008, 19:18
  3. 'worth' usage
    By Offroad in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2008, 16:24
  4. worth
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Dec-2007, 12:06
  5. it's not worth it
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2007, 00:47

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •