• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

ticks

Would you please explain the following in bold in easy English?

1. Mary Lou steps well beyond the not-so-helpful dichotomy of the nature/nurture aspects of leadership to a synthetic model of how one cognitively ticks---the strengths and the weaknesses---to real-world application.

In the above, especially what does "ticks" mean?

2. I also thank him for his personal support and patience during this entire project. I cherish the times he brought his work into the study to be quietly close by while I wrote.

Thank you.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: ticks

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Would you please explain the following in bold in easy English?

1. Mary Lou steps well beyond the not-so-helpful dichotomy of the nature/nurture aspects of leadership to a synthetic model of how one cognitively ticks---the strengths and the weaknesses---to real-world application.

In the above, especially what does "ticks" mean? Like a clock - how one works [a clock ticking shows that it is working].

2. I also thank him for his personal support and patience during this entire project. I cherish the times he brought his work into the study to be quietly close by while I wrote. "He" would bring his own work into the same room and keep the author company as she wrote, keeping quiet as he did so.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the answer.

Let me ask you one more.

In "...how one cognitively ticks...," what does "one" refer to, any individual(person) or some other thing?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Thank you for the answer.

Let me ask you one more.

In "...how one cognitively ticks...," what does "one" refer to, any individual(person) or some other thing?
    It a neutral word to avoid having to say you/he/she so it means any individual and can be taken to mean the reader of the passage.