• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

LIKE or AS IN

I am not sure when to use LIKE or when to use AS IN. Apparently, using AS IN with sentence A) would be incorrect but Im not sure why. Conversely, using LIKE in sentence B) would be incorrect. Can any forum members please enlighten me

A) LIKE every other field of human endeavour, livestock husbandry has its trends

B) Just AS IN our world above the oceans, every good business attracts its seedy imitations

Thumbs up Re: LIKE or AS IN

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Togher View Post
    I am not sure when to use LIKE or when to use AS IN. Apparently, using AS IN with sentence A) would be incorrect but Im not sure why. Conversely, using LIKE in sentence B) would be incorrect. Can any forum members please enlighten me

A) LIKE every other field of human endeavour, livestock husbandry has its trends

B) Just AS IN our world above the oceans, every good business attracts its seedy imitations

It is not incorrect to use them in any of these sentences... The thing is that there's a change in meaning

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: LIKE or AS IN

Thank you for your reply MKss.

Can you please spell out the difference, because it doesn't seem obvious to me:

If I were to say 'AS IN every field of human endeavour, animal husbandry has its trends' it seem to me that I am saying that 'animal husbandry' is 'LIKE' 'every other field of human endeavour'

Many thanks!

Thumbs up Re: LIKE or AS IN

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Togher View Post

The preposition 'in' changes the meaning because you can say:

LIKE/AS (synonyms; though 'as' may be more used/preferred) every other field of human endeavour, livestock husbandry has its trends.

[here you are comparing every field of human endeavour with 'livestock husbandry', and therefore, you assume that livestock husbandry is a field of human endeavour]

In contrast, in the following:

LIKE/AS IN every other field of human endeavour, livestock husbandry has its trends.

[by adding the preposition, you are positioning livestock husbandry within a field of human endeavour without specifying which one]