• Post Thanks / Like

broken down

Hi,

What does "broken down" mean in this context? I found a couple of definitions for "broken down" in the dictionary, but I am not sure which is more suitable for this case.

Thanks for your help.

Professor: ... ... Wetlands are among the richest of all biomes. Animal life is highly diverse and includes an array of insects amphibians, reptiles, and birds. Because marches are so biologically productive, an abundance of dead plant and animal material - energy-rich organic matter - enters the food chain each year. And much of this energy-rich biomass is broken down by bacteria and water fungi. The water in marshes may become tea-colored or dark brown because of the organic acids form the decaying vegetaion. ... ...

You can see the full context here: Question 8 through 10. Listen to part of a lecture in a biology class.
    Delta's Key to the Next Generation ... - Google Book Search

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: broken down

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi,

What does "broken down" mean in this context? I found a couple of definitions for "broken down" in the dictionary, but I am not sure which is more suitable for this case.

Thanks for your help.

Professor: ... ... Wetlands are among the richest of all biomes. Animal life is highly diverse and includes an array of insects amphibians, reptiles, and birds. Because marches are so biologically productive, an abundance of dead plant and animal material - energy-rich organic matter - enters the food chain each year. And much of this energy-rich biomass is broken down by bacteria and water fungi. The water in marshes may become tea-colored or dark brown because of the organic acids form the decaying vegetaion. ... ...

You can see the full context here: Question 8 through 10. Listen to part of a lecture in a biology class.
    Delta's Key to the Next Generation ... - Google Book Search
    "Broken down" in this case means "reduced to its elements". The bacteria start working on a dead animal or plant, and eventually all that is left is a heap of carbon and oxygen (or coal or oil), etc. This is called "biodegradation". Things that can be broken down by bacteria are called "biodegradable". Some products, such as most plastics, are non-biodegradable, so they are major pollutants.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Broken down" in this case means "reduced to its elements". The bacteria start working on a dead animal or plant, and eventually all that is left is a heap of carbon and oxygen (or coal or oil), etc. This is called "biodegradation". Things that can be broken down by bacteria are called "biodegradable". Some products, such as most plastics, are non-biodegradable, so they are major pollutants.

Raymott, Thanks. I get it now !

Nice day!

• Post Thanks / Like

The old lines - "Your explanation is REAL clear to me."

God. I do not know what to say, just, Thanks.