A little problem

I heard "I spend three days since I became a doctor" from a cartoon but in my own opinion it should be "I've spent three days since (I've become) a doctor" I'm not sure that is the meaning of since I've become the same as since I became? If it is not the same what are the meanings of these two?

Re: A little problem

Quote Originally Posted by Supachoke View Post
    I heard "I spend three days since I became a doctor" from a cartoon but in my own opinion it should be "I've spent three days since I've become a doctor" I'm not sure that is the meaning of since I've become the same as since I became? If it is not the same what are the meanings of these two?

Thanks
    Hello Supachoke,

From the little context that you include, "I've spent three days since I've become a doctor" is much more natural in English.

Matthew Balson
    author of The Secret Lives of English Verbs

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

I would suggest that this is correct:
    "I've spent three days since I became a doctor", but as competence has said it needs more context to be sure.

bhaisahab could you explain more why you use I became. also could you explain the differences between ....since I've become and .....since I became?

thx

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

bhaisahab could you explain more why you use I became. also could you explain the differences between ....since I've become and .....since I became?

thx
    "Became" is correct because becoming a doctor is something that happens once, at a specific time, and so any future reference to it requires only the simple past. eg. "I've spent three years working since I became a doctor".

However, many people would use the present perfect in some expressions.
    "Since I've become a doctor, I've become more compassionate towards people". This is acceptable because it doesn't refer to the specific time at which the person became a doctor, but to some time or time span since becoming a doctor up until now. But even this can use the simple past, because it means "During the period since I became a doctor..."

Some constructions, such as "Since I've been a doctor ..." are common, because "Since I am/was a doctor" are wrong. "Since I've been a doctor, I've seen many sad cases." But even this can be changed to "Since I became a doctor..."

It's hard to say that [since + present perfect] is wrong, because it's so commonly used.
    Others might disagree.

I heard "I spend three days since I became a doctor" from a cartoon but in my own opinion it should be "I've spent three days since (I've become) a doctor" I'm not sure that is the meaning of since I've become the same as since I became? If it is not the same what are the meanings of these two?
    When we say that we "spend time" we are usually referring to what was done during that time, or where the time was spent.

I spent three days in New York.

I have spent 4 hours waiting for this train!

Your sentence needs some additional information, and it is likely that it should be related to what was done, or alternatively information relating to location.

I've spent three days in the local surgery since becoming a doctor

I've spent three days helping patients since becoming a doctor

It is difficult to offer you advice without having more context.

One more question

What if I use (I've become since ......) and (I became since ......), are these both correct or if it's not both correct, can you explain why we use this one?