• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question The Sunshine Kid=David Cameron?(UK)

I read an article titled The week I changed my mind on the Sunshine Kid from the Daily Mail. It's about UK Tories leader David Cameron. And at the end of the article as below, the writer used 'The Sunshine Kid' again. Does it refer to Mr Cameron?

Combine that with his renewed commitment to marriage and the family - and in particular, to ending the penalisation of married couples through the benefits system - and the Tory leader is looking stronger and more credible by the day.
    The Sunshine Kid still has everything to lose and much to prove. But from a leader who has been accused of having precious few principles, an identifiable pattern is now emerging - and it's one to make this Tory voter's heart beat a little quicker.
    AMANDA PLATELL: The week I changed my mind on the David Cameron, the Sunshine Kid | Mail Online
    I searched 'the Sunshine Kid' via Google and found there's an organisation named 'Sundshine Kid' about disabled kids. Does the writer satirize that Mr Cameron has a disabled and immature political ability and has a disabled son? If yes, is that organisation well-known in the UK and other native English-espeaking countries? Thanks!
    The Sunshine Kids

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The Sunshine Kid=David Cameron?(UK)

Dear Daffodils:

I read an article titled The week I changed my mind on the Sunshine Kid from the Daily Mail. It's about UK Tories leader David Cameron. And at the end of the article as below, the writer used 'The Sunshine Kid' again. Does it refer to Mr Cameron?
    When the author titled the article, 'The week I changed my mind on David Cameron, the Sunshine Kid,' she was telling you that David Cameron is the Sunshine Kid. (a person's name, a comma, and another name for that person is a way of telling you more about him/her.) So, in this article, yes, the sunshine Kid is David Cameron.

I searched 'the Sunshine Kid' via Google and found there's an organisation named 'Sundshine Kid' about disabled kids. Does the writer satirize that Mr Cameron has a disabled and immature political ability and has a disabled son? If yes, is that organisation well-known in the UK and other native English-speaking countries? Thanks!
    It is highly unlikely that an author would use the disabled child of a politician to ridicule or otherwise deride him. I had never heard of this organization before reading your post. When I googled it, I also found day care centers, summer camps, and clothing stores with this name.
    My guess is that she calls him the Sunshine Kid to highlight his quality of optimism. There can certainly be an aspect of satirizing him, especially if he has a reputation for naivete and/or unrealistic and unrelenting cheerfulness.

All best wishes,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: The Sunshine Kid=David Cameron?(UK)

Dear Petra,

I quite appreicate that you took time to answer the questions time and again.

Have a good day!

Best regards,

TD