• Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

even

Hello, teachers.
    Would you tell me what "even" means in the following sentence?

Vickers had been so intent on figuring out what was wrong with the window that he did not see the sign until he was almost even with the store.

Does "even" here simply mean "(he was almost) right in front of (the store)? I appreciate your help very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: even

It probably does, however it's difficult to tell without more information.

"even with the store" may mean that he was looking at the store from the ground or from its center window.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Thank you, susiedqq, for your comment.

Let me give you some more information about the sentence in question. This man is walking along the street, and finds the window of a certain store shining brightly. It used to be his friend's store and the window was always dirty. Actually the store has found a new owner, and the window is now very clean. But the man, not knowing this, wonders what is wrong with the window, and when he comes up to the window he realizes there is a sign which the new owner has hanged.

When I read this sentence I thought the man is walking up or down a slope though there is no mention of such a fact in the text. I checked the usage of "even" with several dictionaries but am not sure of its meaning.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by imchongjun View Post
    Thank you, susiedqq, for your comment.

Let me give you some more information about the sentence in question. This man is walking along the street, and finds the window of a certain store shining brightly. It used to be his friend's store and the window was always dirty. Actually the store has found a new owner, and the window is now very clean. But the man, not knowing this, wonders what is wrong with the window, and when he comes up to the window he realizes there is a sign which the new owner has hanged.

When I read this sentence I thought the man is walking up or down a slope though there is no mention of such a fact in the text. I checked the usage of "even" with several dictionaries but am not sure of its meaning.
    To a native speaker, "even with" usually means "level with" and both of these just mean
    "right in front of" or "next to".

e.g. "I caught up and walked level (or even) with her."

"I was almost even with the bus when it moved off."

buggles(not a teacher)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Thank you, buggles, for your comment. Now I think I understand the sentence!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Unrelated to your question: I'd suggest "The new owner has HUNG a sign," not HANGED a sign. (Usually, "hanged" is used only for the death of a person by hanging.)