1. GlendaCS

Red face allophones

Hello ! I would like to ask for a complete definition of allophone . I have a test next week and I have a small definition of it , so ... I if you can help me ...I would be greatful . Thanks .

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: allophones

phoneme = contrastive/distinctive sound within a particular language (notation: /…/) Phoneme cause a change in meaning; e.g., bit sit

allophone (also variant) = sound which counts as an alternative way of saying a phoneme in a particular language (notation: […]) Allophones do not cause a change in meaning; e.g., Banff is pronounced Ba[m]ff. The rule that is working there: /n/ is pronounced as [m], a labial, before the labial sound [f]. The rule is called Regressive Assimilation. [m] doesn't change the meaning of the word Ba[m]ff. It just changes the sound. Allophones are phonetic; they have to do with sounds changing while speech is in progress.

See also

From Allophone | Teaching English | British Council | BBC

Allophones are phonetic variations - different pronunciations - of the same phoneme. Using a different allophone does not change meaning.

The /l/ sound is pronounced differently in ‘love' and in ‘wool'. These two words contain allophones of the phoneme /l/.

In the classroom
    It is important to be aware of what allophones and phonemes exist in other languages, as these can cause problems when learning the sounds of English. For example, the /b/ and /v/ phonemes in English are only allophones in Spanish and Spanish learners often have difficulty recognizing the difference. Discrimination activities on minimal pairs of words, distinguished only by the phonemes concerned, can help with this.
    See also What is an allophone?