• Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

None the less

Hi there!

I'd like to ask speakers of British English.

"I love Mary none the less for her faults."

I found this sentence in a textbook, but as far as I know Americans and Canadians don't use none the less like this. They say when they use "none the less", they use it as an adverb without for and put the three words together like below.

Mary has a lot of faults. Nonetheless, I love her.

Is this also the case in British English? Or do you use "none the less for..." like the sentence above?

Thank you

OP

Re: None the less

Quote Originally Posted by optimistic pessimist View Post
    Hi there!

I found this sentence in a textbook, but as far as I know Americans and Canadians don't use none the less like this. They say when they use "none the less", they use it as an adverb without for and put the three words together like below.

Is this also the case in British English? Or do you use "none the less for..." like the sentence above?

Thank you

OP
    I assume it means:

I love Mary regardless of her faults

or

I don't love Mary any less because of her faults.

It is a strange way to use the words.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

"I love Mary none the less for all her faults."

This is correct English, maybe a bit archaic but none the less correct, even so.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by optimistic pessimist View Post
    Hi there!

Thank you

OP
    The "for" just happens to be there; it means, in that context, 'in spite of', or even just 'with'; I wouldn't be surprised if the words
    nobody else[, the Internet lyrics I found put a comma in here, but although Francis Albert puts a pause in here there's no syntactical need for a comma] gave me a thrill
    With all your faults, I
    Love you still
    were sometimes sung with a "for" instead of a "with". Read more here: Love Songs Lyrics and Words to - It Had To Be You - by Frank Sinatra

So it's "for her faults" in your quote; the "for" doesn't form a specially British variant of 'none the less', which is an adverbial phrase.

What may be a particularly British thing is the preference for a three-word phrase rather than a one-word adverb. There was an odd-looking rule, when I worked for OUP, that "none the less" was a phrase but "nevertheless" was a single word. This is a behaviour I've acquired, but I'm not particularly disturbed when people behave otherwise!

b