Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Eger

Question The strange English...

Hello, teacher! I'm having only one question for you. Why English language is so strange? I'm from Russia, and I think that Russian english is more "colorful" instead English. Please, answer my question!!!

Re: The strange English...

Quote Originally Posted by Eger View Post
    Hello, teacher! I'm having only one question for you. Why English language is so strange? I'm from Russia, and I think that Russian english is more "colorful" instead English. Please, answer my question!!!
    Let me tell you that every language is beautiful in its own way. Judging by the grammar of your post you are a beginner. Keep working at your English, and a time will come when you feel its beauty. Good luck!

I don't want to answer a question with a question, but what is "Russian English"?

Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    I don't want to answer a question with a question, but what is "Russian English"?
    It's the language that post is written in. (a joke )

Probably he meant to say 'the Russian language'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Your question is much more strange than English is if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    It's the language that post is written in. (a joke )

Probably he meant to say 'the Russian language'.
    I see.

Well, what do you define "colour" (he's had his spelling corrected if nothing else) as?

Thank yourself lucky you don't have to deal with a confusing system of grammatical case endings!

I am moving to the Czech Republic in a couple of weeks and the Czech case system (as with most Slavic languages) is a nightmare! As a native English speaker picking up the language is going to be hard work.

I see.

Well, what do you define "colour" (he's had his spelling corrected if nothing else) as?

Thank yourself lucky you don't have to deal with a confusing system of grammatical case endings!

I am moving to the Czech Republic in a couple of weeks and the Czech case system (as with most Slavic languages) is a nightmare! As a native English speaker picking up the language is going to be hard work.
    Which is easier to learn: a synthetic language or an analytical one? The former has all those inflexions, the latter - auxiliary words, functional words, etc. Besides, If we compare them in terms of the plane of form vs. the plane of content, I'd say a synthetic language has a more sophisticated system of forms, while an analytical one - more complex semantics.

If you have an advanced class in the Czech Republic, it may save you a lot of trouble with the Czeck language.

Which is easier to learn: a synthetic language or an analytical one? The former has all those inflexions, the latter - auxiliary words, functional words, etc. Besides, If we compare them in terms of the plane of form vs. the plane of content, I'd say a synthetic language has a more sophisticated system of forms, while an analytical one - more complex semantics.

If you have an advanced class in the Czech Republic, it may save you a lot of trouble with the Czeck language.
    As an English speaker, it seems harder to get started with a language of the Slovak family than with other european languages (Germanic or Latin based).

I say this because I have spent some time studying French, which initially shows a lot of similaritites to English.

However I know very little about Czech (or Russian or any like language) so your opinion is going to be infinately more informed than mine (what with being a speaker of both languages).

What do you mean by "advanced class" ? (Bearing in mind that I am a beginner).

What do you mean by "advanced class" ? (Bearing in mind that I am a beginner).
    I thought you were going there to teach English. By advanced class I meant advanced English class.
    As far as I know the Czeck use the Roman alphabet, not the Cyrillic one. At least something!

I thought you were going there to teach English. By advanced class I meant advanced English class.
    As far as I know the Czeck use the Roman alphabet, not the Cyrillic one. At least something!
    Ah, I see. Yes, I am going to teach English; most of the students should be upper intermediate to advanced so I won't need to speak Czech while working.

I want to learn (at least) basic Czech nontheless. Partly out of respect to the natives, partly out of curiosity; and of course you can learn a lot about language in general by studying a new one.

At least, as you say, the alphabet might be somewhat on my side

Cheers Clark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast