Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 241
    #1

    Whose or of which?

    Are the sentences correct?


    The car, whose lights had been left on overnight, wouldn't start.

    The car, of which the lights had been left over night, wouldn't start.
    Thanks in advance.

  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #2

    Smile Re: Whose or of which?

    Quote Originally Posted by moniza View Post
    Are the sentences correct?


    The car, whose lights had been left on overnight, wouldn't start.

    The car, of which the lights had been left over night, wouldn't start.
    Thanks in advance.
    You were so close to get it right.

    The car, the lights of which had been left on overnight, wouldn't start.


    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 241
    #3

    Re: Whose or of which?

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    You were so close to get it right.

    The car, the lights of which had been left on overnight, wouldn't start.

    egee30!
    Thank you very much for answering to questions.

    Don't you think that "The car, whose lights had been left on overnight, wouldn't start." is correct.?

    If not, please explain.



  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: Whose or of which?

    Quote Originally Posted by moniza View Post
    egee30!
    Thank you very much for answering to questions.

    Don't you think that "The car, whose lights had been left on overnight, wouldn't start." is correct.?

    If not, please explain.


    It's correct, but a bit too correct for some modern tastes - rather like knocking on a door and saying 'It is I'; it's rarely used nowadays.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 241
    #5

    Re: Whose or of which?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    It's correct, but a bit too correct for some modern tastes - rather like knocking on a door and saying 'It is I'; it's rarely used nowadays.

    b
    BobK!
    Thank you very much. Now I realise that English is so difficult to write.
    Because I have a lot of difficulties when I write English.
    Many thanks
    M

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #6

    Red face Re: Whose or of which?

    Quote Originally Posted by moniza View Post
    egee30!
    Thank you very much for answering to questions.

    Don't you think that "The car, whose lights had been left on overnight, wouldn't start." is correct.?

    If not, please explain.


    Oh, sorry for a bit of a misunderstanding, Moniza. As BobK said, it's absolutely correct. I was just writing in reference to your second sentence, which was a bit incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 353
    #7

    Re: Whose or of which?

    engee30,

    You say 'to come close to doING something'.

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #8

    Red face Re: Whose or of which?

    Quote Originally Posted by wace View Post
    engee30,

    You say 'to come close to doING something'.
    I stand corrected.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •