• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

So x therefore

Once I posted a thread, I donīt remember which, as Iīve posted quite a few, and someone pointed out that I was using the word so in a wrong way, and I didnīt have a chance to ask why... My question is: can so and therefore ever be synonyms? Maybe something like: I think. So, I exist.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: So x therefore

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Once I posted a thread, I donīt remember which, as Iīve posted quite a few, and someone pointed out that I was using the word so in a wrong way, and I didnīt have a chance to ask why... My question is: can so and therefore ever be synonyms? Maybe something like: I think. So, I exist.
    They can be used interchangeably in some cases. But that doesn't make the words synonyms. Certainly you can say "I think, so I exist".
    Do you remember the context in which you were using "so" so wrongly. "So" has so many different uses, so it's so easy to use incorrectly.
    The "so" in bold (a conjunction) could be changed to "therefore", but most can't be.
    On the other hand, almost all "therefore" can be changed to "so" - in meaning, though the style might suffer.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: So x therefore

Iīll try to find this thread as soon as possible. But as Iīve said, Iīve posted so many! Iīll be around...