being fed or is fed ?

Hi,

I have grammar question about this sentecne: "After three days, the egg hatches into a small white worm called a larva, which, being fed by the adult bees, increases rapidly in size."

The professor says "which, being fed by the adult bees, increases rapidly in size." If I say ""which, is fed by the adult bees, increases rapidly in size." Then is there a difference between them? Why does he use "being fed", not "is fed" ? I can not figure out.

Thanks for your help.

Professor: The worker develops from the egg into a perfect adult bee in twenty-one days. Each egg is laid by the queen bee, who deposits it in the bottom of the worker cell. After three days, the egg hatches into a small white worm called a larva, which, being fed by the adult bees, increases rapidly in size. When the cell is nearly filled by the growing larva, it is closed up by the bees. The larva then enters the pupa state. ... ...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: being fed or is fed ?

[QUOTE=IMPSX-UE;410339]Hi,

I have grammar question about this sentecne: "After three days, the egg hatches into a small white worm called a larva, which, being fed by the adult bees, increases rapidly in size."

The professor says "which, being fed by the adult bees, increases rapidly in size." If I say ""which, is fed by the adult bees, increases rapidly in size." Then is there a difference between them? Why does he use "being fed", not "is fed" ? I can not figure out.

Thanks for your help.

If you put your phrase in, we wouldn't need the commas, but we would need "and"

"...... called a larva which is fed by the adult bees and increases..."

The use of "being fed" means "because it is fed" so we don't need the "and".

".......a larva which, because it is fed..., increases in size."

"The student, being well-taught, learned effectively."
    "The student was well-taught and learned effectively."

It's not easy to explain the difference, but I hope this has helped.

buggles(not a teacher)

being fed by the adult bees is a non-finite clause within the relative clause which (............) increases rapidly in size.

It is adding additional information to the relative clause.

Something like

which is fed by the adult bees, and increases rapidly in size.

is possible; however the whole structure of this example is completely different to the original.

In short, is is not a possible replacement for being without further alterations.

Remember that they are fundementally different verbs in that is is a conjugated finite form, and being is a present participle, non-finte form.

[quote=buggles;410356]
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Hi,

If you put your phrase in, we wouldn't need the commas, but we would need "and"

"...... called a larva which is fed by the adult bees and increases..."

The use of "being fed" means "because it is fed" so we don't need the "and".

".......a larva which, because it is fed..., increases in size."

"The student, being well-taught, learned effectively."
    "The student was well-taught and learned effectively."

It's not easy to explain the difference, but I hope this has helped.

buggles(not a teacher)

Hi, buggles,

Thanks for your reply.

In fact, you do not need to tell me the difference. I think this (The use of "being fed" means "because it is fed" ) is pretty clear to me. I get it!

Are you from lancashire? I just... Do you know there is a school called "Rossall" ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Afrikaans
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • Nigeria

being fed is correct answer, because, the "being" does not show either the time or conditional statement for the sentence thanks. i wish you to contact me via my email Cacophony007@yahoo.com for more explanation if this not clear.. thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

[quote=IMPSX-UE;410372]
    Quote Originally Posted by buggles View Post

Hi, buggles,

Thanks for your reply.

In fact, you do not need to tell me the difference. I think this (The use of "being fed" means "because it is fed" ) is pretty clear to me. I get it!

Are you from lancashire? I just... Do you know there is a school called "Rossall" ?
    Yes, I am from Lancashire and although I'm not familiar with it, I do know there is a Rossall school in Fleetwood which is on the coast about 50 miles from where I live.

Sorry it took so long to reply.

[quote=buggles;413407]
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post

Yes, I am from Lancashire and although I'm not familiar with it, I do know there is a Rossall school in Fleetwood which is on the coast about 50 miles from where I live.

Sorry it took so long to reply.
    Hello, buggles,

It is good to see your reply. Yes, the school I mentioned is in Fleetwood.
    Anyway, thanks for helping me figure out the question I asked. See you soon and have a nice day!