Results 1 to 2 of 2

    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 440

    Talking How to call this kind of dish?

    Hi ,, Would you tell me...

    How to call the dish you eat when you drink alcohol ?
    Do you have any noun for this kind of food?
    Should I say.. side dish?

    A: Would you like a drink?

    B: Let's have some wine together.

    A: Ok, I will bring it but sorry I don't have side dish.

    B: No, worry. I don't need that, let's Just drink wine.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,037

    Re: How to call this kind of dish?

    "Side dish" usually refers to something you eat in addition to your main dish. English makes do with general terms like 'finger-food' [=food that you don't need cutlery to eat] for drinks that go with alcohol, or 'savouries' (as such food is never sweet). Informally, people use the word 'nibbles': 'We won't be serving a sit-down meal, but there'll be plenty of nibbles'.

    English is increasingly borrowing the Spanish word tapas.


Similar Threads

  1. kind of
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-May-2007, 06:42
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2006, 07:28
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2005, 04:23
  4. Using call waiting feature
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Jun-2005, 06:55
  5. Using kind of
    By piggy386 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Aug-2004, 20:18


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts