Results 1 to 5 of 5

    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #1

    work in

    Hi,

    What does "work in" mean in this context? I looked it up, "work in" means "to add something gradually while blending it with another substance." According to this definition, so I guess, does this sentence mean "First, let's start from the outside and then introduce the others(inside) gradually?"

    What is your opinion? And thanks for your help.




    Professor: In a perfect, idealized flower, its four organs are arranged in four whorls, all attached to the receptacle at the end of the stem. Before we go on, let's quickly go over the four parts of the flower. First, let's start from the outside and work in. Which organ is on the outside, closest to th stem?
    Student: The sepal. That's the part that kind of looks like a leaf 'cause it's usually green.
    Professor: Right, then what comes next?
    ... ...


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 810
    #2

    Re: work in

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Hi,

    What does "work in" mean in this context? I looked it up, "work in" means "to add something gradually while blending it with another substance." According to this definition, so I guess, does this sentence mean "First, let's start from the outside and then introduce the others(inside) gradually?"
    I am not entierly sure that work in is a verb phrase in this context. I think it is a seperate verb and preposition.

    It means:

    to examine the flower from the outside in (= towards the middle).

    Work, in this context, can be thought of as a substitute for examine, and the preposition in is giving a sense of which direction the examination will take (moving towards the center: inwards).

    However I think this could be up for debate.

    I am sure someone else can assess my idea accurately.


    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #3

    Re: work in

    Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    I am not entierly sure that work in is a verb phrase in this context. I think it is a seperate verb and preposition.

    It means:

    to examine the flower from the outside in (= towards the middle).

    Work, in this context, can be thought of as a substitute for examine, and the preposition in is giving a sense of which direction the examination will take (moving towards the center: inwards).

    However I think this could be up for debate.

    I am sure someone else can assess my idea accurately.
    But, thanks for your kind help, colloquium !

    I think your explanation sounds reasonable as well, and that is where I was stuck. So...

    Let us wait more answers...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: May 2005
    • Posts: 2,045
    #4

    Re: work in

    In this case, work in means to go through something gradually. The professor could have said: "...from the outside and work our way in to the interior," but he just shortened it.


    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #5

    Re: work in

    Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    In this case, work in means to go through something gradually. The professor could have said: "...from the outside and work our way in to the interior," but he just shortened it.

    Thanks for your help, mykwyner. I get it now!

    Merry Christmas!

Similar Threads

  1. [Essay] Which is the better way to work?
    By beijilang5 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2008, 22:07
  2. application for a work placement any mistakes ?
    By dianou in forum CVs, Resumes and Applications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2008, 05:58
  3. Family VS Work
    By kenny101 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2007, 13:52
  4. Work Quicly \ slowly ... check my Essay
    By Edil in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-Sep-2007, 04:05
  5. Difference between work at, work with and work for
    By Mahnoor in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-Feb-2007, 05:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •