1. Unregistered

Cool please check this sentance

I have volunteered in the mentoring of children; and together with my husband, in mentoring youth, adults and couples.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: please check this sentance

I have volunteered in the mentoring of children and, together with my husband, in mentoring youth, adults and couples.

The "together with my hudband" is a clause that should be separated by commas or parenthesis.

The semicolon you originally used is incorrect. It would only be correct if the phrase that followed it was a complete and totally self-sufficient sentence. What followed it was

"and together with my husband, in mentoring youth, adults and couples."

This is not a sentence. So, no semicolon.

You don't need to replace it with a comma, either. If you remove or parenthesize the "together with.." part it's easier to see the proper punctuation:

I have volunteered in the mentoring of children and [together with my husband] in mentoring youth, adults and couples.

I would also like to see some parallelism here. You say "in the mentoring of" first, then, "in mentoring" second. I think they should be the same, and I prefer the second construction simply because it is simpler. Or, you might even delete the second one as redundant:

I have volunteered in mentoring children and, together with my husband, youth, adults and couples.

However in that case, you'll see that the comma after husband begins to run a confusing possilble list. Are you together with your husband and youth? No, so you should either keep your second "in mentoring" (or "in the mentoring"), or else use parenthesis for absolute clarity:

I have volunteered in the mentoring of children and (together with my husband) youth, adults and couples.