• Post Thanks / Like

pioneer parents

What does "pioneer parents" mean in this context?

According to the definition in the dictionary, "pioneer" is used as a Noun, which means " a person who is the first to study and develop sth. that other people then continue to develop."

Then what is the "pioneer parents"? I hope someone take a look for me, I can not get this one.

Thanks for your help.

Professor: In the south, probably th best-known aromatic tree was the sassafras. The sassafras is a fast-grwoing tree, a member of the laurel family. ... ... For centuries, sassafras enjoyed a fantastic reputation as a cure for almost every disease. Maybe you've heard of the medicinal spring tonic of the old days. Well, sassafras was a main ingredient in spring tonic - the stuff pioneer parents gave their kids. My grandmother had to take the spring tonic that her grandmother made from sassafras. Sassafras leaves, bark, and roots used to provide the flavoring for root beer and chewing gum. ... ...

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: pioneer parents

Parents who were pioneers, moving westward in the USA during the 19th century. They would use local and herbal remedies.