• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

if the first

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of "if the first" and "overexposed" in the following context:

Elections have been treated as an instrument constituting political institutions, particularly, the Parliament and the Presidents when they are elected by the people and/or as direct participation of the people in government. If the first – instrumental meaning is overexposed - the elections are interpreted in pure technical way. The principal merit of this approach is the emphasis of the linkage between the nature of elections and the essence of the institutions brought in existence by the elections. The composition of representative assemblies has depended to some extent to the type of the electoral system.

Does "if the first" mean "in the first case", i.e. when elections have been treated as an instrument constituting political institutions?

And what can "overexposed" can imply in this context --- exaggerated?
    Last edited by KLPNO; 25-Dec-2008 at 10:56.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: if the first

We have representative government. That's why we have elections. The people participate indirectly in government through their representatives.

I don't know what the writer means by:
    If the first
    instrumental meaning
    overexposed
    pure technical way
    If I were inclined to do so I would ask the writer what is intended by those terms, but throttling him/her might be more fun.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: if the first

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    We have representative government. That's why we have elections. The people participate indirectly in government through their representatives.

I don't know what the writer means by:
    If the first
    instrumental meaning
    overexposed
    pure technical way
    If I were inclined to do so I would ask the writer what is intended by those terms, but throttling him/her might be more fun.
    Thank you very much, RonBee.