• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

connection between parts of a sentence

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the connection between parts of the second sentence in the passage:

The International and European standards have been drafted by different actors in the international lawmaking arena – universal, regional and non-governmental organizations. They have proposed and some of them have adopted provisions in the international treaties or soft law relating to the supranational standards of elections which are different in scope, parties which are members of the relevant organization and their legal binding effect.

Does the highlighted part refers to "provisions.. relating", i.e. provisions in... relating to "parties which are members of the relevant organization and their legal binding effect".

Re: connection between parts of a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the connection between parts of the second sentence in the passage:

The International and European standards have been drafted by different actors in the international lawmaking arena – universal, regional and non-governmental organizations. They have proposed and some of them have adopted provisions in the international treaties or soft law relating to the supranational standards of elections which are different in scope, parties which are members of the relevant organization and their legal binding effect.

Does the highlighted part refers to "provisions.. relating", i.e. provisions in... relating to "parties which are members of the relevant organization and their legal binding effect".
    It is a very convoluted sentence.

I think your highlighted part refers to: some of (the organizations).

Some of the organizations, parties which are members of the relevant organization and their legal binding effect, have adopted provisions in the international treaties

However my interpretation doesn't make the passage seem any clearer in respect to the way that the writer has constructed it. Either I am offering a misguided attempt at making sense of it, or it is an example of some weak, unlear writing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

My opinion is that the second should be rewritten. The writer scrap the sentence and start over. As it is it is not worth anybody's time to try to figure it out.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    It is a very convoluted sentence.

I think your highlighted part refers to: some of (the organizations).

Some of the organizations, parties which are members of the relevant organization and their legal binding effect, have adopted provisions in the international treaties

However my interpretation doesn't make the passage seem any clearer in respect to the way that the writer has constructed it. Either I am offering a misguided attempt at making sense of it, or it is an example of some weak, unlear writing.
    Thank you very much, colloquium.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    My opinion is that the second should be rewritten. The writer scrap the sentence and start over. As it is it is not worth anybody's time to try to figure it out.

Thank you very much, RonBee. Your opinion and the one by colloquium confirm my own opinion that the original sentence is poorly written -- first I thought my knowledge of English was not enough to understand the sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

KLPNO, you did a good job of understanding my post considering that I left a couple of words out. (Not on purpose.) That you were able to fill in the missing words shows a good understanding of the language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    KLPNO, you did a good job of understanding my post considering that I left a couple of words out. (Not on purpose.) That you were able to fill in the missing words shows a good understanding of the language.