1. Jeff S

Is this an example of idiomatic expression?

It sometimes seems so unfair that they kept you longer than they said they would. I realized when you love a soldier you can not expect anything. You asked me what I want to do about us. Well, my sweetheart, I do not want us to end.
    Just because we will not be able to see each other for a long time doesnít mean we have to give up hope. If you really love someone, the time and distance apart should not make a difference. Two years is not that long. I can wait.
    I will wait for you. I wouldn't care how long I would have to wait.. I would wait forever if thatís what it takes! I love you, so you have my answer. I feel the same way you do

I've been communicating with a girl in Australia I am not in the military.To me it sounded like she was responding to a letter I wrote her saying they are going to keep me longer than I thought and she would wait 2 years. I will copy my question then her response is this an example of idiomatic expression?

Hi Michele,

Merry Christmas Eve.You've deffinitely grabbed my attention with your writing.It sounds to me as if you are writing to me like I am in the military.What do you mean about them keeping me longer than they said they would?Where did 2 years come into play?I don't understand.Please respond.

Her response-Hello Jeff,
    I don't mean u are in the military but is a idiomatic expression are used for example ok and i know that you will find it difficult to understand me.. the two years is a phrase which i used to summarize the few days we've met ok..

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Is this an example of idiomatic expression?

She has either (1) mixed your email up with another person she is talking to or (2) she is using phrases wrongly.

Her comments don't make sense if you are not in the military and are not going to be gone for 2 years.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Dear Jeff:

I agree with Sisiedqq and would like to add that the original message reads like it was written by a different person than the writer of the response to your questions.

best wishes,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I agree with the others - she's writing to two of you (at least) at the same time and sent you the wrong letter. I wonder what the other guy got? I hope you're not sending her money!