Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Unregistered
    Guest
    #1

    artist

    First question

    What is the difference between artist and singer?

    artist has two meaning- singer and someone who draws
    If you are ask what do your favorite artist, would you think he's asking about your favorite singer or your favorite drawer?

    Second question

    If two artists work together to create a song, is it called collaboration song?

  2. Roselin's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 2,641
    #2

    Re: artist

    artist means a person who has some talent or art. He can be a singer or painter or actor or dancer etc etc.

    artist definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta


    Have a look at the link given above!

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #3

    Re: artist

    If two artists work together to create a song it is called a collaboration (not a collaboration song).



  4. buggles's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 3,987
    #4

    Re: artist

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    If two artists work together to create a song it is called a collaboration (not a collaboration song).


    A performer (which includes a singer) whether male or female, is an artiste rather than an artist.

    buggles(not a teacher)

  5. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #5

    Re: artist

    ar⋅tiste

    /ɑrˈtist; Fr.arˈtist/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ahr-teest; Fr.ar-teest] Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun, plural -tistes /-ˈtists; Fr.-ˈtist/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [-teests; Fr.-teest] Show IPA Pronunciation . an artist, esp. an actor, singer, dancer, or other public performer.
    Origin:
    1815–25; < F; see artist
    artiste definition | Dictionary.com

    Singers are also called vocalists or song-stylists.



    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 15
    #6

    Re: artist

    Quote Originally Posted by buggles View Post
    A performer (which includes a singer) whether male or female, is an artiste rather than an artist.

    buggles(not a teacher)
    Really?
    Artiste sounds really French.
    If that's the case, I would like to know what is the difference between artist and artiste
    Look at number four--a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance. Isn't that the same as artiste

    artist definition | Dictionary.com

    art⋅ist
       /ˈɑrtɪst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ahr-tist] Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.
    2. a person who practices one of the fine arts, esp. a painter or sculptor.
    3. a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, etc.: a commercial artist.
    4. a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance.

  6. buggles's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 3,987
    #7

    Re: artist

    Quote Originally Posted by teachmehelp View Post
    Really?
    Artiste sounds really French.
    If that's the case, I would like to know what is the difference between artist and artiste
    Look at number four--a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance. Isn't that the same as artiste

    artist definition | Dictionary.com

    art⋅ist
       /ˈɑrtɪst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ahr-tist] Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.
    2. a person who practices one of the fine arts, esp. a painter or sculptor.
    3. a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, etc.: a commercial artist.
    4. a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance.
    Artiste most probably is French, but it is used in Britain to distinguish between a performer and an artist. For most British people, artist is synonymous with painter!

  7. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #8

    Re: artist

    Quote Originally Posted by buggles View Post
    Artiste most probably is French, but it is used in Britain to distinguish between a performer and an artist. For most British people, artist is synonymous with painter!
    In the USA singers are often called artists.

Similar Threads

  1. artist and musician
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2008, 03:40
  2. What is a good artist
    By Tyfeur in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2005, 23:25
  3. Modigliani – an Italian artist (correct)
    By deer in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2004, 23:07

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •