pass on, cut idealism down to size

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could take a look for me at these two questions in this context.

Thanks for your help.

... ...
    M2: The philosophy of idealism seems kind of conservative.
    M1: Idealism is often criticized as being a conservative philosophy because so much of its emphasis is on character development and preserving traditions. Idealists care about ultimate truths, so their notion of education is largely a matter of passing on knowledge. (What does "passing " mean here? I can not get it.)
    M2: But what's the ultimate truth? Who gets to decide what's true?
    M1: Who gets to decide what's true? Excellent question... and it's questions like this that have led to a weakening of idealism today. Developments in science and technology have changed what we've thought of as true.. Our contemporary emphasis on relevance, usefulness, and innovation - as opposed to lasting values - all of these trends have cut idealism down to size. (what does "cut idealism down to size" mean? )
    ... ...
    Last edited by IMPSX-UE; 02-Jan-2009 at 05:49.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: pass on, cut idealism down to size

Quote Originally Posted by impsx-ue View Post
    hi,

i

... ...
    M2: The philosophy of idealism seems kind of conservative.
    M1: Idealism is often criticized as being a conservative philosophy because so much of its emphasis is on character development and preserving traditions. idealists care about ultimate truths, so their notion of education is largely a matter of pass on knowledge. (what does "pass " mean here? I can not get it.)

"pass on knowledge" doesn't sound right, so one can only guess what it is supposed to mean. perhaps it is supposed to mean 'passed-on' knowledge, knowledge passed on from person to person or from generation to generation.
    perhaps someone who is familiar with idealsim can give you a better answer. From what little i know about idealism, it sounds like nonsense.

m2: But what's the ultimate truth? Who gets to decide what's true?
    m1: Who gets to decide what's true? Excellent question... And it's questions like this that have led to a weakening of idealism today. Developments in science and technology have changed what we've thought of as true.. our contemporary emphasis on relevance, usefulness, and innovation - as opposed to lasting values - all of these trends have cut idealism down to size. (what does "cut idealism down to size" mean? )

it means it has made idealism less important, less believed in.
    ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post

I am sorry for this! I made a mistake, the correct original sentence is this one - " idealists care about ultimate truths, so their notion of education is largely a matter of passing on knowledge. " (Sorry for misdirecting you ! Forgive, forgive !!!)

I read this context again, and I guess, does "passing" here mean "not wanting"? I mean, the context wants to tell us that "idealists care about ultimate truths, but they do not care about specialized knowledge."

Here is the full script, I think that would be helpful for you. It is a little long, you can just read something you think it is important !

Page 664. Question 23 to 28. Listen to part of a discussion in a philosophy class. The class is studying Plato.
    Delta's Key to the Next Generation ... - Google Book Search

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by impsx-ue View Post

i am sorry for this! I made a mistake, the correct original sentence is this one - " idealists care about ultimate truths, so their notion of education is largely a matter of passing on knowledge. " (sorry for misdirecting you ! Forgive, forgive !!!)

i read this context again, and i guess, does "passing" here mean "not wanting"?

i don't think so. I think it means what i said before, but i can't be certain.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

pass on - transmit (knowledge or skills); "give a secret to the Russians"; "leave your name and address here"; "impart a new skill to the students"

pass on - definition of pass on by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    pass on - transmit (knowledge or skills); "give a secret to the Russians"; "leave your name and address here"; "impart a new skill to the students"

pass on - definition of pass on by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    My Super Soup,

Thanks for your help, I get it !