most-recognized, most recognized

In the composite family, there are about 19,000 different species worldwide. Many are grown as ornamentals - cosmos, zinnia, dahlia, marigold, and aster. Probably the most-recognized composite flower is the English daisy. (Hi, I have a question about "most-recognized" in this sentence. What does "most-recognized" mean here? Why there is a hyphen between "most" and "recognized"? I mean, if I leave out this hyphen, then is there a difference?) The daisy was introduced form Europe and now is a wildflower found on lawns, fields, and at roadsides throughout North America.

I know maybe I considered this one in too much details, I mean, maybe the question I ask seems redundant, but... I just want to make sure that I got this in a right way. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Re: most-recognized, most recognized

Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    In the composite family, there are about 19,000 different species worldwide. Many are grown as ornamentals - cosmos, zinnia, dahlia, marigold, and aster. Probably the most-recognized composite flower is the English daisy. (Hi, I have a question about "most-recognized" in this sentence. What does "most-recognized" mean here? Why there is a hyphen between "most" and "recognized"? I mean, if I leave out this hyphen, then is there a difference?) The daisy was introduced form Europe and now is a wildflower found on lawns, fields, and at roadsides throughout North America.

I know maybe I considered this one in too much details, I mean, maybe the question I ask seems redundant, but... I just want to make sure that I got this in a right way. Anyway, thanks for your help.
    I don't think the hyphen should be there. The person who wrote it sounds more like a botanist than a linguist. By the same token, "wildflower" should not be written as one word. It should be two words (without a hyphen!): wild flower.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In the US, wildflower is one word.

You often hyphenate a compound description before a noun, as it is in the original, but with "most" I don't find it necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    In the US, wildflower is one word.

You often hyphenate a compound description before a noun, as it is in the original, but with "most" I don't find it necessary.
    Hi, Barb_D,

First, thanks for your reply.

Yes, on my script, there is a hyphen between "most' and "recognized". And that is why I asked this question, but, being a foreign student, I just wondered if there is difference with a hyphen or without a hyphen.

According to your and naomimalan's opinion where you both thought it does not necessary with a hyphen between "most" and "recognized".
    Okay, I get it. Finally, I was just wondering if you could take a look for me again, then what does "most recongized" mean in this context?

Thanks a lot!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Let's say you got 200 people in a room. You show them flowers, one at a time, and ask them "Do you know the name of this flower?" 100 people can name Flower A. 120 people can name Flower B. But 195 can name the daisy.

Therefore, the daisy is the one that the most people recognize. It is the most-recognized flower.

(In retrospect, I'd probably cling to the rule about hyphenating before the noun, and put it in.)

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Let's say you got 200 people in a room. You show them flowers, one at a time, and ask them "Do you know the name of this flower?" 100 people can name Flower A. 120 people can name Flower B. But 195 can name the daisy.

Therefore, the daisy is the one that the most people recognize. It is the most-recognized flower.

(In retrospect, I'd probably cling to the rule about hyphenating before the noun, and put it in.)
    Thanks for your help, Barb_D. I get it now !